Author Topic: Flex in Designline  (Read 3401 times)

Offline cnashTopic starter

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
Flex in Designline
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 14:09:57 PM »
So, I made some unmanaged flex tubing (Soft Copper and PEX) using CID2873 and was wondering if there was a way to draw using this in designline?
I know you can do it using the flexfill and flexfill to terminals but it doesn't seem like it will allow me to draw with just the flex and place a coupling or fitting where it needs to be.
I know TSI is working on some sort of piping flex for a possible future release but we use soft copper quite a bit and PEX is starting to emerge quite a bit more now and we are looking to both estimate and draw in CAD with both of these items.
Anyone find some sort of solution?
I noticed even using the flexfill command that I don't always get exactly what I am looking for and to estimate with that will be more headaches than I'm willing to have.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline jabowabo

• Premier Member
Flex in Designline
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 15:36:42 PM »
You can use it if you change your line mode. See attached.
My Free CAD Apps
My LinkedIn

• Premier Member
Flex in Designline
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 19:11:32 PM »
That works!
Thanks. I would have never thought to check there. I am running into the problem that it won't place couplings when the max length is met but it will place tees where needed.
If I restrict the segment to a certain distance it just won't fill past that distance, but if I don't restrict it it just stretches to the distance needed.
Is there a way to make the segment not stretch?
Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline hiltondg

Flex in Designline
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 16:28:09 PM »
Great information. Thanks guys. Question: How would you configure where the flex line mode picks the material? I'd like to be able to switch between aluminum flex and acoustical flex material for this function if possible. I'm using EST, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Dave Hilton
Mechanical Estimator

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
Re: Flex in Designline
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2014, 17:14:37 PM »
That works!
Thanks. I would have never thought to check there. I am running into the problem that it won't place couplings when the max length is met but it will place tees where needed.
If I restrict the segment to a certain distance it just won't fill past that distance, but if I don't restrict it it just stretches to the distance needed.
Is there a way to make the segment not stretch?

cnash were you able to figure this out? I am soon to draw some coil pex and am having this same problem.
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct - GTP Stratus

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2014, 18:45:51 PM »
Well.... Yes and no...
It's not perfect by any means.
You kind of have to draw funny angles for it not to exaggerate the bends and most of the time it will just stretch the pipe to whatever length instead of sticking to cut lengths.

I plan to soon mess with it a little more in a "terminal" node sense and see if I can get some better results. Currently I am only using it occasionally and other times just taking off either hard copper for reference or doing the soft copper by hand.
Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2014, 18:54:54 PM »
Ok, thanks for the update. I just go off the phone with Enceptia. Scott used 3108 and built his product list using Absolute Values to control the bend radius. Im not sure whether or not I am going to use that method or not but I like it and its a good option.
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct - GTP Stratus

Offline CADworker

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2023, 22:03:23 PM »
It would seem that "Flexfill" works with CID#2873. Which I've been able to test and get working. However, I am having an issue with the length. The flexfill command doesn't auto correct the length of the item when drawing it in. I have the default  length set to 12". If the distance between the two point selected is bigger than 12" in stops short. Anyone have a fix so that the length will auto fill when using the flexfill command?

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2023, 18:13:09 PM »
I don't remember when we made this change, but we are now using CID#2108 and setting product lists to control the bend radius. It's working pretty well for us now. I haven't heard many complaints from our users.
Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.