Author Topic: Forum Usage Tips  (Read 39732 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
Forum Usage Tips
« on: Jun 22, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
If you wish to receive notifications when a new post is made to a topic you may click the NOTIFY button below the post. You can do this without making a post yourself, irregardless of whether you have started or posted within the topic.

Alternatively under Profile >> Notifications you may select to automatically subscribe to notifications to a topic whenever you post, edit or reply within it. Make sure you save your changes!
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
Re: Forum Usage Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »
Make sure that you place code within the available BBCode tags (# on the WYSIWYG editor), otherwise certain elements may display as smileys within the code.

Example:

Code: [Select]

dim l=.25
if item.cid =???? then
item.dim[4].value=l
item.dim[5].value=l
item.dim[8].value=l
endif

When not included within tags displays as:

dim l=.25
if item.cid =? ??? then
item.dim[4].value=l
item.dim[5].value=l
item.dim[8].value=l
endif

Alternatively, when posting anything containing code, under Attachments and other options check the box Don't use smileys
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2013, 14:15:39 PM »
To return to a topic after making or editing a post, rather than being redirected to the forum board index, go to Profile >> Look and Layout and check Return to topics after posting by default.  Make sure you save your changes.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2013, 14:54:27 PM »
In Profile >> Personal Messaging you can opt to receive a pop-up whenever you get a personal message.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2013, 20:26:00 PM »
In Profile >> Ignore Board Options you can select boards that you don't particularly want to follow. Posts made in any board selected will not display in Recent Posts or Recent Topics on the Portal Index page, but may still be accessed through the Forum Index if required.

Saves cluttering up the Portal Index with stuff you aren't interested in.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2013, 15:04:05 PM »
We are going to start changing the Forum Default Theme now and again just to add a bit of variety to the site, especially for visitors and guests,

If you wish to continue using the 'blue' theme then use our theme selector and choose Athena and check the Permanently box before clicking on Change.

You may want to do this now, before we start implementing the random changes.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2013, 15:40:06 PM »
Given in to the continual harassment from certain members and implemented a 'Like' button.

You can now show your appreciation or agreement with a particular post (though not your own) by clicking on the button at the top of the post. You can later rescind this by clicking 'Unlike' should you wish.
After displaying a certain number of people who have liked a post it will not show the names to save space. It will say something like 'and 5 others'.

Use this feature wisely (and not sarcastically) or it will be withdrawn from you.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2013, 20:26:34 PM »
Selecting Notepad from the main menu will open your own personal Notepad in a separate window.

Handy for making notes or memory joggers of commands once you find the answer to a problem on the forum. You can always add a link to a post within your note.

Or maybe 'don't forget to put the ignition key in before attempting to start the car' - whatever you may need to use it for it's there if you want it!

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2013, 20:58:02 PM »
By clicking on the PM Quote button next to a posters name you can quickly send a PM quoting the content of the post. Clicking the button opens your messaging window with the content of the post already quoted. By default it includes the poster as a recipient and you can add more recipients and even remove the default recipient.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2013, 14:50:35 PM »
The Pencil Icon next to a user indicates that they started the topic you are viewing.

The icon remains attached to that user throughout the topic and can be useful in identifying posts made by the original author as the topic grows in length.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2013, 14:58:26 PM »
The Cookie Statement displayed on the Portal Index page, which is visible before you login, complies with current EU legislation and confirms your acceptance of cookies set by XtraCAD.com when logging in to the site.

XtraCAD places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2013, 17:26:55 PM »
Many of the posts on XtraCAD could easily be answered by first looking at the relevant Help File. “I didn’t know there was a help file” or "I don't know where it is" are common responses to this suggestion.

Below are the locations of the relevant Help Files. It is a good idea to create shortcuts on your destop to these.

• CADmep: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Fabrication 2014\CADmep\en-US\CADmep.chm
  • ESTmep: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Fabrication 2014\ESTmep\en-US\ESTmep.chm
  • CAMduct: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Fabrication 2014\CAMduct\en-US\CAMduct.chm

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2013, 20:36:04 PM »
Make your post refer to the person reading it, such as yourself [you], by using the BB Code tag you enclosed within [ ]

Admin Edit:
Disabled this feature as it was creating too much confusion to some members!

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2013, 17:55:44 PM »
Don't forget that you can always print a topic for reference later.

Unfortunately, attachments do not display in printed versions but they can be very useful for saving material to reference whilst you try and implement a solution to a problem you may be having.

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
Take the time to read our page on Forum Etiquette

http://www.xtracad.com/forum/index.php?page=etiquette

This is not specific to XtraCAD and covers generally accepted forum etiquette standards.

In particular, adhering to the advice given on hijacking threads, meaningful titles and staying on topic will make the forum much easier to use and more beneficial to all.