Author Topic: Same number for identical parts in renumber command  (Read 3976 times)

Offline frozen3Topic starter

Same number for identical parts in renumber command
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:29:37 AM »
Huge, huge gripe.

This needs fixing. I have fitting that filled in design line at the same time as one another, same elevation, same, same, same.

Yet this command still, after years, numbers both parts differently even though the "same number for identical parts" is checked.

How am I, and we, as a company, supposed to put our faith into using Revit when things offered years ago don't operate correctly?

I guess my plumbing company will continue to try to find technical solutions to this program.

Fix it or take it out. If it doesn't work don't offer it. I'd rather know there's a problem I need to solve than try to fix someone else's broken work.

Offline Phred

• Premier Member
Re: Same number for identical parts in renumber command
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 13:40:26 PM »
welcome to the world of Autodesk, been that way since 87 or older.  you will get used to it, and sometimes just laugh.
autocad 2015
fabrication 2015

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 14:03:34 PM »
welcome to the world of Autodesk, been that way since 87 or older.  you will get used to it, and sometimes just laugh.

And sometimes you will not be able to stop laughing  :'( :-\ :o
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 14:39:48 PM »
post the 2 fittings
The SoCAL (VERY OLDMAN NOW) Kid! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE  HOLIDAYS BOB  ::) ::)  
WIN 10 O.S
Revit/Fabrication 2022/BDSU 2022
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline VirtualPilot

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 15:21:21 PM »
Huge, huge gripe.

This needs fixing. I have fitting that filled in design line at the same time as one another, same elevation, same, same, same.

Yet this command still, after years, numbers both parts differently even though the "same number for identical parts" is checked.

How am I, and we, as a company, supposed to put our faith into using Revit when things offered years ago don't operate correctly?

I guess my plumbing company will continue to try to find technical solutions to this program.

Fix it or take it out. If it doesn't work don't offer it. I'd rather know there's a problem I need to solve than try to fix someone else's broken work.

When you get two "identical" fittings not labeling the same, use the SHOWMETHEDIFFERENCE command, most times you'll see that something is not the same, all it takes for even a note to do that...
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 18:21:53 PM »
When you get two "identical" fittings not labeling the same, use the SHOWMETHEDIFFERENCE command, most times you'll see that something is not the same, all it takes for even a note to do that...

Ditto
The SoCAL (VERY OLDMAN NOW) Kid! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE  HOLIDAYS BOB  ::) ::)  
WIN 10 O.S
Revit/Fabrication 2022/BDSU 2022
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline effimero89

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2019, 13:09:26 PM »
Some mentions here...

I'm currently using the Applied Software renumbering tool which is the same principle. I don't bother checking if things are identical with different item numbers since we do so much it would be insane to look through that. However, these tools will mark something identical when it's really not. Specifically transitions. I've had to write an entire program with the fabrication API that looks at duplicatie item numbers to see if they are REALLY a duplicate. For sheet metal purposes two parts with the same item number but different sizes are like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. So I'm much more concerned with that.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019