Author Topic: Lack of a clearances clash in Glue  (Read 10483 times)

Offline bparrellTopic starter

• Premier Member
Lack of a clearances clash in Glue
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 21:09:16 PM »
How many of you have ventured into a project that uses Glue?
We are just starting and I'm very dissapointed in the lack of a clearance clash in this platform.

I'm not sure if this is U.S.A wide or just a California code, but here recently the fire marshall / inspectors have been holding the fire protection to a 2" clearance from steel and without a clearance clash it's impossible to make it seemless without setting the tolerance to zero and and manually checking the dimension.

Another thing, where did they come up with this tolerance, meaning overlapping objects. Who in the right mind would even use this and for what?
Typically we want a clearance of 1" between objects as a best case scenario.

Did Autodesk code this backwards and just do not realise it?
The SoCAL (VERY OLDMAN NOW) Kid! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE  HOLIDAYS BOB  ::) ::)  
WIN 10 O.S
Revit/Fabrication 2022/BDSU 2022
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

• Premier Member
Re: Lack of a clearances clash in Glue
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 21:39:39 PM »
The bandaid that some talk about is adding fireproofing to the steel. All well and good if the steel is from a Revit model, but what happens if it is a Tekla model? I'm sure if at all possible the modeler will add FP for you....Not, even if they could. Some inspectors even count the fireproofing as an enitity of the steel, so now you would have to add 4" of fireproofing. Maybe this is where the overlap would work?
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 21:48:42 PM »
My understanding is that Tekla can add fire proofing easily.  I will check with the guys at the office tomorrow to verify it though.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 21:56:16 PM »
Well that would help as I tried looking and could not come up with anything on their site.
Still the work needed could be accomplished easier than having whom ever is modeling structure adding fire proofing, with a clearance clash.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline cjehly

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 22:08:50 PM »
Haven't messed with Glue. 

Are you saying a 2" clearance clash results in a false positive if things are within 4" of each other?  Just trying to clarify.
-Chris-

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 22:12:40 PM »
You do not have a choice for clearance. There is one setting called tolerance. This meaning how much 1 object overlaps another. You cannot set a negative number here also. Where would someone use this, I can't figure. You can set it to zero, but again no way to set distance between 2 objects.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline cjehly

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 23:15:09 PM »
Well, that's a design error there...  (360 Glue)

I dunno about anyone else, but I do my own clash detection regardless of what's going on at the jobsite (or who's running clash) because I simply don't trust very many people to do it correctly anyway. 

-Chris-

Offline jmerch

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 13:13:07 PM »
We have done one or two jobs where the GC ran coordination instead of us and they used Glue. Everytime they'd run clashes and post the clash list, we would run our own in straight Navis and come up with way more clashes, important ones. IMO, Glue should not be used for full blown clash coordination, maybe just minor clash avoidance.
Intel i7-6700K @ 4 GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia Quadro M5000 - W10x64 - MEP & FABRICATION 2014/2017 - NAVIS 2017 - REVIT 2017.1

Offline Tstright

• Premier Member
    • United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 15:12:16 PM »
We have done one or two jobs where the GC ran coordination instead of us and they used Glue. Everytime they'd run clashes and post the clash list, we would run our own in straight Navis and come up with way more clashes, important ones.

Glue IMHO is a field tool...nothing more.
It's like having a moving business and using nothing more than a station wagon...
"Only the Skilled Survive"

Offline Darren G

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 16:32:17 PM »
We only use glue as a file sharing (model sharing) tool. Navisworks has a MUCH better clash detective tool in it. You can set that clash tolerance to just about any thing including negative numbers.

Its also important to mention that we run Navisworks Manage, NOT the free version of navis.
Darren

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 16:39:55 PM »
We only use glue as a file sharing (model sharing) tool. Navisworks has a MUCH better clash detective tool in it. You can set that clash tolerance to just about any thing including negative numbers.

Its also important to mention that we run Navisworks Manage, NOT the free version of navis.

Think we all understand the difference between the 2. The price they charge to use this collaboration tool is rediculous , when the output is unsatifactory.

You can run the clash in Manage, but when it's uploaded to glue see quote

Quote from: David E
Okay I uploaded a dwg to Glue from AutoCAD then opened it in Navis thru the Glue plug-in. Ran my clash with 2” clearance 600 hits returned. Glued the NWD from Navis to Glue, the clash set did NOT go with the model and the hits drop by over half so the clearance did not upload. I was able to run clashes in Navis.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline jmerch

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 21:18:25 PM »
Using it for file collaboration is basically the same as using Dropbox, isn't it? Other than being able to view models on mobile devices.
Intel i7-6700K @ 4 GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia Quadro M5000 - W10x64 - MEP & FABRICATION 2014/2017 - NAVIS 2017 - REVIT 2017.1

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 22:10:32 PM »
There are some good features that box will not do for you. The pinpoint feature which is like switchback can find the clash and you can fix on the spot and re-glue it for realtime update.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline jmerch

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 22:31:58 PM »
Isn't that only a revit feature? Or does it work with cad/fabrication?

• Premier Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 23:16:14 PM »
 Most 2015 Autodesk products , Fabrication included.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR