Author Topic: ERROR: The Tap must be attached to duct.  (Read 6627 times)

Offline VirtualPilotTopic starter

• Premier Member
ERROR: The Tap must be attached to duct.
« on: Jun 17, 2015, 16:15:56 PM »
I get this error in just about every Revit MEP job I get lately and cannot figure out how to fix it to open it properly, don't feel good about deleting the instances prior to opening the job...
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline DTND

• DTN Design
Re: ERROR: The Tap must be attached to duct.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2015, 01:34:15 AM »
VP could you explain what you are doing to get the error?? Are you swapping native revit for fabrication items or are you upgrading revit version or drawing ductwork in revit? There a number of reasons why this error comes up.
'Revit lives in the land of perfect and doesn't understand what construction is..' Wise Draftsman

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2015, 15:24:53 PM »
Simply opening a downloaded job, I see this quite often when opening for first time... the error only allows you to DELETE the instances, and that is a scary though... as you don't know exactly what you are deleting...
Santos Cedeno

Offline Tstright

• Premier Member
    • United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2015, 15:37:28 PM »
No other option? just delete?

Did you have to "update" the revit file?
"Only the Skilled Survive"

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2015, 16:01:31 PM »
The file was updated from 2014 to 2016 and on this particular one the OK button shows available, but I had had cases where DELETE was the only option...
Santos Cedeno

Offline DTND

• DTN Design
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2015, 02:14:40 AM »
This is one of the annoying things about revit mep when upgrading model from a lower version. Some families will play nice & usually the taps crap themselves to delete. The branch duct should still remain, just the tap/shoe/boot gets deleted.

Which means you will have to reconnect that branch back to the main.. make sure your routing preferences are set to tap with your newer version family. Or else we tend to find out what version the central model is started in & remain on that version. Can cause a lot of issues when everyone is on different versions & builds of Revit. This should be stipulated in the BIM spec for your project.
'Revit lives in the land of perfect and doesn't understand what construction is..' Wise Draftsman

Offline fishandchips

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »
If on a multi user network not only must all users in the project be on the same year version of Revit but also the same build of that year. Staying put and not upgrading in mid project is the best practice way to go.
Older and wiser - President at C2B INC (formerly CC2BL INC). Wondering how long I can get away with my 2018 lifetime CAD MEP combo licence. Squeaking by with a circa 2012 HP EliteBook 8760w with a new motherboard, second solid state drive and Windows 10 upgrade.

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2015, 21:01:24 PM »
The problem with this is that you don't know where they are being deleted from, and on a multistory job with hundreds of duct run-outs all over the place it would be impossible to know where they were...
Santos Cedeno

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)