Author Topic: Break designline  (Read 1123 times)

Offline piper1Topic starter

Break designline
« on: Jun 29, 2015, 10:29:19 PM »
I've used the Break command successfully but found if you don't first delete the nodes of the section furthest from the source point they get messed up and you can't do anything with them.  Unfortunately I have a designline segment I broke off from another and I can't get rid of the messed-up nodes.  They won't delete.  When I go into Edit Nodes many more nodes than are actually on the designline appear in the node list.  Anyone know anything about this behavior?

Thanks!
Eric Fox

Offline ocdcad

Re: Break designline
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Yeah, we get the extra nodes when breaking designline.  Using Node>Delete should work, make sure the DL is active for which you are deleting from.  Another option with little better success rate is Node>Edit select nodes and right click>delete.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015, 04:38:49 PM by ocdcad »

Offline piper1Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
Thanks for your input.  I've tried both those methods to delete them but they've proven pretty invulnerable.  Guess I'll have to live with them in this drawing and be more careful with that break command in the future.  Maybe the best approach is to be more careful about the size of the designline to begin with and avoid breaking it altogether.
Eric Fox

Offline jimbon

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
I know I'm a little late to the party, but why are you breaking a Design Line?  Because you want it to be a separate system, or because you forgot to change size in the middle of a line?

If it's the latter, my suggestion is to put in a little temporary branch where you want to split the original Design Line.  That automatically sets a node, and splits the original Design Line into two separate segments.  Change the size of the Design Line segment, then delete the little temporary branch.  That way, you don't have to use the break command.
Ver. 2018.0.0.F (28)  -  AEC Collection 2018  -  CADmep, CAMduct, and ESTmep 2018
Windows 7 Pro x64 -  2 Intel Xeon E5-2603 @ 1.80GHz -  32 GB RAM  -  NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Offline ed-rmi

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
I'm having an issue with breaking the design line. I was able to break the design line before but for some reason when I select the break in the line drop down it just doesn't break the design line. Does anyone know of a setting that effects the design line and breaking it?

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
We never use the break command because of it's weird results.
To accomplish breaks we typically copy the designline and then delete the un-needed lines & nodes.
Christopher Nash
VDC Content Manager/Support
William R. Nash Companies

Offline ed-rmi

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »
Ok I'll just have to do that then. Thanks for the response.

Offline Steadtler

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:52:05 AM »
The weird Design Line node results are probably due to the presence of manually placed fittings. If you don't have manually placed fittings, the Break command should work well.

The trick is to avoid manually placed fittings on the Design Line. If you have manually placed fittings, you can incorporate them into the Design Line using the following process:
3D Fill the Design Line
Erase the Design Line leaving the pipe and fittings
Use RevDesign and select all of the pipe and fittings to create a replacement Design Line
Annotate the Design Line to verify the fittings has been added
Break the new Design Line as needed.

I use a third party add-in to create sloped 3D polylines which represent centerlines of pipe runs.  I then manually place Design Line fittings (only fitting nodes – no linework) on the polyline at the desired locations. After exiting and reentering Design Line, I use the Trace command on the 3dPolyline.  Changes can be made to the Design Line (which uses nothing but the default fittings) and then when I have what I want, I activate the fitting only Design Line and combine all of the other Design Lines.