Author Topic: Revit Files from Engineer  (Read 7333 times)

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
Re: Revit Files from Engineer
« Reply #15 on: Aug 25, 2017, 13:50:27 PM »
We get models and are told "This is a fully coordinated, constructible model", then we get into it and it isn't even close to being coordinated and by no means can be constructed as drawn.

Yeah, but I bet it is the Main (General) Contractor telling you this so that your bid to him is lower. Then afterwards they will say something like 'We were told by the designer that it was fully coordinated - you should have checked some congested areas before submitting your price'.

I'm actually taking about during the coordination and construction process, not prior to bid.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #16 on: Aug 25, 2017, 14:41:11 PM »
Some other posts regarding this subject:
http://www.xtracad.com/forum/index.php/topic,4984.0.html

http://www.xtracad.com/forum/index.php/topic,4023.15.html

And through years of experience is to list in your quote/bid what you are expecting from the design team (electronic PDFs/CAD files/Revit files/etc).  That way, if you do not get what you need, more $$ is justifiable.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline VirtualPilot

• Premier Member
« Reply #17 on: Aug 25, 2017, 14:59:18 PM »
Paper construction bid documents also seem to be getting worse, missing ductwork and pipe sizes.

This is very true lately, with the proliferation of REVIT into the Mech Eng hands I see more and more jobs with a HUGE amount of ducts with missing sizes, how are these jobs even bid it boggles my mind...

Here is another trend I am starting to see, absolutely NO sizes to all of the VAV, FPB boxes on entire drawings and NO inlet sizes sizes on the schedules, only capacities, not even Model Numbers...
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline welchy78Topic starter

• http://www.cjerickson.com
« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2017, 15:01:35 PM »
Thanks Ken for the links and for replying to what I originally posted about. I agree with most that the model from the engineer is most likely not going to be constructible, but some systems at least when it comes to plumbing can be easily converted and modified to work. I can usually convert the domestic water and have it filling in 95% of what I need. It may need some modification but it's much quicker than drawing from scratch. I've also had some success with converting storm systems. Sanitary waste and vent will probably never get there on the engineering side. There's just too much detailing to doing it right. I think the way we are going to attack it in the future is to put it in our proposal that we expect the Revit model and also have the GC request it from the owner. The digital files are instruments of service and are owned by the owner. So they have a right to ask for it all.
Brian Welch
BIM Mgr - CJ Erickson Plumbing
Autodesk 2017 CAD/FAB/Navisworks/Revit
Boxx Intelfi Core i7-4790K 4.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2017, 16:16:12 PM »
Thanks Ken for the links and for replying to what I originally posted about. I agree with most that the model from the engineer is most likely not going to be constructible, but some systems at least when it comes to plumbing can be easily converted and modified to work. I can usually convert the domestic water and have it filling in 95% of what I need. It may need some modification but it's much quicker than drawing from scratch. I've also had some success with converting storm systems. Sanitary waste and vent will probably never get there on the engineering side. There's just too much detailing to doing it right.
We do the same and I agree with your thoughts
I think the way we are going to attack it in the future is to put it in our proposal that we expect the Revit model and also have the GC request it from the owner. The digital files are instruments of service and are owned by the owner. So they have a right to ask for it all.
Totally agree.  This should be standard for us all.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.