Author Topic: 2018 ESTmep Hanger grabbing wrong "Support #1"  (Read 459 times)

Offline KuhnsTopic starter

• MacDonald-Miller
2018 ESTmep Hanger grabbing wrong "Support #1"
« on: Nov 03, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Having an issue with 2018 ESTmep hangers on the piping side...

We have our hangers set up to oversize based on the service being run...for example, both a 1/2" & 3/4" CHW pipe will get a 2" hanger.

However, with 2018, this same 2" hanger will have a large cost difference.  In exploring more, the "Support #1" for the more expensive one is not following the size breakpoints in the "Support #1" being used.  It is actually, on the Bearer tab of the "Support #1" picking the very largest "Insert Type", which is a 30" Pipe Protection Saddle...

Having a 30" Pipe Protection Saddle drives the cost up by $60...  Thoughts on why this is going to the largest size?
Gene L. Kuhns, Jr. - LEED AP
Sr. Estimator, MacDonald-Miller
Seattle, WA
Fabrication 2016 ESTmep

• MacDonald-Miller
Re: 2018 ESTmep Hanger grabbing wrong "Support #1"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »
Anyone else having this issue?  Solution?
Seattle, WA
Fabrication 2016 ESTmep

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
I'm still not fully moved over to 2018, but I have been testing stuff and haven't noticed this.
I will look into it next week to make sure that it isn't an issue here though.
Christopher Nash
Pre-Construction Coordinator
All things Database Management & Autodesk Product Support
William R. Nash Companies

Offline UW Badgers

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
Having an issue with 2018 ESTmep hangers on the piping side...

We have our hangers set up to oversize based on the service being run...for example, both a 1/2" & 3/4" CHW pipe will get a 2" hanger.

However, with 2018, this same 2" hanger will have a large cost difference.  In exploring more, the "Support #1" for the more expensive one is not following the size breakpoints in the "Support #1" being used.  It is actually, on the Bearer tab of the "Support #1" picking the very largest "Insert Type", which is a 30" Pipe Protection Saddle...

Having a 30" Pipe Protection Saddle drives the cost up by $60...  Thoughts on why this is going to the largest size?

Gene,
How do you have your hangers setup to do this?  The reason I am asking is because I have not noticed this but I have not set our hangers up to do this.  I am letting the insulation thickness drive this based off of the hanger selected. 
Josh
Version 2017.1 - Ultimate Suite
Dell Precision M6800
i7 - 4910MQ @ 2.90GHZ 32GB RAM
WIN 10 64 Bit - NVIDIA Quadro K4100M

• MacDonald-Miller
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:12:56 PM »
Hi Josh,

We have our hanger items set up to use the "Support #1" on the Item Properties/Manufacturing tab.

The "Support #1" is basically the supports specification... a list of Ancillaries that are attached to each hanger...

Each "Support #1" can be found in Database/Fittings/Supports  Right-click on one of the specifications listed, and hit "Breakpoints"...  You have (3) tabs to put information in for each size of hanger: Bearer, Support, and Top Fixings

Bearer is for the hanger item (which we keep at "None" due to having these ancillaries attached to a hanger item, Bearer Extn, and Insert Type, which is a Cal-Sil or Foam inserts needed for insulated pipe

Support has the Rod, Bolts (nuts), & Clips (Washers)
Top Fixings has the rod attachment method, and this is based upon the type of structure you choose...so, you could have Deck Inserts, Beam Clamps, etc...  based upon the structure you choose at take-off...

All of these ancillaries are taken off when a hanger is placed in a model, and will show up as a material cost or labor component on each individual hanger in an item report. 

Each individual cost can be seen, when one does a "Cost Breakdown" on a specific item...

Email or call me if this does not make sense...
Seattle, WA
Fabrication 2016 ESTmep