Author Topic: Tracker (scanner/reader)  (Read 7650 times)

Offline ChrisHTopic starter

Tracker (scanner/reader)
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 17:44:54 PM »
I'm been thinking about using Tracker for a while now.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of the process and what happens from what the Autodesk help files tells me.  The problem I'm having is the scanner itself.  I know it needs to read code39 and that stuff but don't know much more.  I feel like if I buy a handheld scanner and plug it in things might clear up but I want to test now and I cant find any stores in my town that sells scanner.

Does anyone use this program and use a android app?  Just wondering what apps might work and how to get that info back to the tracker program on a computer. 

Any comments or thought would be greatly appreciated.  Am I wasting my time trying to use a phone?  Even for testing purpose or have you had success using it?

Thanks

Offline chvajcin

Re: Tracker (scanner/reader)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
Hope someone will post better answer, but what we have discovered so far, that you need either:

1) very cheap scanner connected directly to the computer running tracker. As you read the code, it changes data in the main database (for example change status of the item in project, one by one). The scanner act as another keyboard, and simply send characters read from barcode on the label

or

2) better scanner, that has some internal memory, so it can store some data. You can read barcodes in the field (for example when parts are loaded) and after you finish, you take scanner back to the office, put it into cradle and it sends all data (strings read from labels) to the tracker sw (the cradle has to be connected to the computer with tracker and network connection to the main database).

There is also some hybrid way with creating SIF files with some changes or trigger sheet method (which I can not make working in my case, dunno why) - but I have not found any useful way how to use it.

It will be great if any app for ios or android can be used, because i see big potential there, as it can tells you for example that some part does not belong here (has different job name or whatever) - but I think there is no easy way for this.

Hope someone with better knowledge will post more hints, however current straight way solution seems not helpful for real work, when you have multiple projects, levels, etc.....

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 13:26:02 PM »
We were looking into developing this into a customer database somehow so they can see what status on spools that have been made.

It would be a great benefit to obtaining projects.

We have had a play with it and have a usb scanner. Using the trigger sheets and updating the status fields we had some success but I found it pretty limited.

There was one user on here that has it working to even update his construction drawings on what has been delivered and then fitted, which would be good for doing as-fits for invoicing.

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:13:47 AM »
We were looking into developing this into a customer database somehow so they can see what status on spools that have been made.

It would be a great benefit to obtaining projects.

We have had a play with it and have a usb scanner. Using the trigger sheets and updating the status fields we had some success but I found it pretty limited.

There was one user on here that has it working to even update his construction drawings on what has been delivered and then fitted, which would be good for doing as-fits for invoicing.
Hi gents,
It's great to have this topic here.
Dexy, as you have been successfully get it running could you please advise on how the database been sharing between your company and the customer (on-site).
We've been using the Tracker to keep on track of our dispatch processes and it also reflect which pieces were dispatched by changing the status of the pieces on MAJ file (as you said). We are now trying to develop something similar on-site so that they actually can scan the ducts when they got delivered and then it will change status of the pieces into "on-site" for example.
But we are thinking about how to share the database for that so that when they scan from site the tracker can go to our server to change the status of MAJ files which are stored on our server at workshop.
Any experiences on that ?!!!!
Thanks !!

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
We havent went as far as implementing into a customer database as this is where we fall short.

However as far updating from site then a cloud based database could be linked in I would presume. The file can also be emailed across to your office and then update the status.

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2017, 23:22:40 PM »
Thanks Dexy for your reply !
What we've been experiences with site is that they don't care much about what they received so i wouldn't say that they will send the emails to us :( (sadly it's what it is). Cloud based database is a nice idea to work out, we also think about VPN to our server but yeah, that's the idea to start with.
Hope this thread gonna be kept available for updating.
Cheers,

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2017, 19:51:51 PM »
I agree, continued info on this topic would be great.  I think using Tracker would be very valuable but info on it seems pretty limited.

Thank you for all the response already

So...... It sounds like everyone is pretty much using a handheld usb connected scanner.  No one has found a android/apple solution that works.  I just I'll jump on Amazon and get one ordered.

Thanks again,

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2017, 22:24:13 PM »
So...... It sounds like everyone is pretty much using a handheld usb connected scanner.  No one has found a android/apple solution that works.  I just I'll jump on Amazon and get one ordered.
Thanks again,
Hi ChrisH,
I've never try any app on phone before but it's definitely will be handy and portable if we have an app like that. The idea I think about is the app need to be able to read Barcode (wouldn't be hard since we have camera on phone) then it need to store the information (store the Handle ID/Item No/Job No whatever info you encoded in barcode on your label) in the memory---> then when you come to your station (PC/Laptops located in site office) you will be able to synchronise your phone with laptop (by Bluetooth for example) and hit the "upload" button on the app so all the info will be send to the station with Tracker is installed.

Looking for some app which are capable of doing so then we are good to go :(
Any suggestion ? 

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
Could you not just use QR code that can be read by any phone then save the file for email. Ill try set all this up again once I get some spare time

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2017, 13:57:35 PM »
Most of the apps I've tried reads or at least recognizes my bar code 50% of the time and QR code 100% but what it dose with that data after that is beyond me. The majority of the time it takes my Job Number and Handel and tries to find me the best deal it can on Amazon :)   

I feel like there has to be something out there.  I wish Autodesk included a mobile app with Tracker, I'm pretty confident that is never going to happen but if anyone finds something please let us know.  I will do the same

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »
Have you looked into BIM 360 Field?

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2017, 17:26:02 PM »

A little bit. We have used it on some projects. I'm just trying to use a product we already have and something that seems like it could provide value. 

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2017, 21:10:22 PM »
Something I tried for the purpose of tracking parts/job number moving in the factory stations.
https://youtu.be/KOPSFgfohWw

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »

A little bit. We have used it on some projects. I'm just trying to use a product we already have and something that seems like it could provide value.

Looks like they started supporting Ipad only so slow progress being made

Offline jaysomlam

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2018, 14:55:14 PM »
The idea I think about is the app need to be able to read Barcode (wouldn't be hard since we have camera on phone)

Becareful about taking a photo to scan a barcode.  Yes this idea works in term of scanning the barcode.  But this is a slow process as comparing with using the standard way (laser? infrared?) to scan a barcode.  The camera takes a couple seconds to focus, and then it takes one or two seconds to decode the photo into a barcode number.  This is OK for scanning a barcode to look up the price of an item in Amazon.  But this can be a bit too slow for scanning the barcode of a group of duct.  Some users like this because the smart phone is much smaller than the bulky "real" handheld scanner, and they can fit it in their pocket.  But some other users don't like this because taking photo is too slow.  As for me, I am hoping that a real barcode scanner attachment for a smart phone may work.  But I don't know if Tracker supports this type of scanner.

Jaysom