Author Topic: Item Data vs. Product Data  (Read 1665 times)

Offline dopefishTopic starter

Item Data vs. Product Data
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 16:44:27 PM »
So I have began creating ITM content for my company's database. It's been fun. However I am not sure how to attach product info to the item I created. My gut feeling here is that the ID is the link between the ITM data in the fabrication database and the product info in map.prod. Is this correct?
Secondly, when I load up the product info editor I do not see my new items. So do I need to add these to the mapprod or is there a step I'm missing where it will grab it on it's own?
Any help anyone can offer would be great. Hope ya'll had a good weekend.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline cadragon

Re: Item Data vs. Product Data
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 18:37:42 PM »
Yes, it is the ID column that connects the part to the Product, Price, Fabrication and Installation tables.  Each size of each part needs a unique ID.  We use the Harrison codes but you don't need to.

There is nothing automatic here, you have to add your data into the Product table.  I use Excel spreadsheets to load my data into the Product Information Editor via copy'n'paste.

Offline dopefishTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 19:19:48 PM »
OK cool. I didn't want to go through making a template CSV and adding stuff if:

1) There was some sort of refresh button i should have been clicking

2) If I was just copying over things or bloating the map prod catalogue.

So I think I have a handle on this workflow now. I feel like this is an easier route to getting reports to do what I want when I can sort with MAP prod and find some category for similar items and make it all the same value. Thanks for the response.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline space_e

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 21:54:07 PM »
Has anyone found a way to 'batch' IDs into an existing database?
I'm looking at an existing database of more than 9000 parts (44000 if you consider each of the products list) - all with no IDs on them.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 17:20:18 PM »
Are there numbers already defined to the parts/sizes, just not in the ITM?  OR can you generate whatever number you want as you go?  If so, that shouldn't be too bad to automate.

I've not done it....but it is doable. Likely less than 20 hours worth of work to generate the code.