Author Topic: Designline Putting Short Joints Before RedILTee and Red4Way Nodes  (Read 2011 times)

Offline BonediggerTopic starter

• Premier Member
    • Hercules Industries
We recently purchased ESTmep subscriptions to use with our CAMduct database for estimating and for on screen takeoff using Designline. One thing I've run into while setting up services to use with Designline, is that it always fills with a short joint before crossing a RedILTee node or a Red4Way node (attached example). If I delete all but the first joint in the section and stretch it to fill, it fills fine with auto length joints all the way up the remaining short joint at the end (second attached). It's not like it's avoiding putting a duct connection over the node. It always does this. Does anyone know what controls this? Is there a setting or option somewhere that causes it to insert a short joint before using an auto-length joint to cross the node?
Chris
Autodesk Fabrication CAMduct 2019 v3.07.545 (2019.1.0), Autodesk Fabrication ESTmep 2022 v22.0.110.2 (2022.0.0.F) Windows 10, 64-Bit

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
Re: Designline Putting Short Joints Before RedILTee and Red4Way Nodes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 20:28:36 PM »
We recently purchased ESTmep subscriptions to use with our CAMduct database for estimating and for on screen takeoff using Designline. One thing I've run into while setting up services to use with Designline, is that it always fills with a short joint before crossing a RedILTee node or a Red4Way node (attached example). If I delete all but the first joint in the section and stretch it to fill, it fills fine with auto length joints all the way up the remaining short joint at the end (second attached). It's not like it's avoiding putting a duct connection over the node. It always does this. Does anyone know what controls this? Is there a setting or option somewhere that causes it to insert a short joint before using an auto-length joint to cross the node?
Design Line fills in the fittings first, but taps need to have a Straight in to place the taps, so DL is placing a straight where the taps go, and then goes back and fills in the gaps with the straights. This is what why you are getting the unnecessary cut lengths. You can see what is getting placed first if in CADmep you model up a small example and fill 3D, then use Undo command to watch how DL fills. Having said all of that, there is no fix that I know of.
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct - GTP Stratus

• Premier Member
    • Hercules Industries
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 20:37:40 PM »
Thanks. At least now I understand why it's doing that.
Chris
Autodesk Fabrication CAMduct 2019 v3.07.545 (2019.1.0), Autodesk Fabrication ESTmep 2022 v22.0.110.2 (2022.0.0.F) Windows 10, 64-Bit

• Premier Member
    • Hercules Industries
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 14:18:09 PM »
Do you know what governs where it places the straight relative to the tap? I've noticed that it's consistent when the sizes are the same, but consistently different with another size. For example, in the illustration I gave, on the 32 x 12 duct with an 8" round tap, the end of the duct is consistently placed 7.36" past the center of the tap. On the 24 x 12 duct with an 8" round tap, the end of the duct is consistently placed 7.56" past the center of the tap. ???
Chris

Offline QuocPhong

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2023, 04:23:37 AM »
Hopefully by now 2023 you're still interested in this issue, I've also spent a lot of time learning about it, actually from 4/2022 and I have 1 alternative to it.
I used a CID#2 (taper) template and adjusted the parameters for it as shown below.
In the "Properties" button I'll change "Fitting Type to 'Access panel'. Then you can customize it to any position you want."
Thanks all:
Vietnam 20/12/2023