Author Topic: Converting vs. manual redrawing of Revit models with fabrication....  (Read 260 times)

Offline effimero89Topic starter

We have pretty large models that go through coordination and all of that. Then get turned into fabricated parts then into camduct etc...

Upper management thinks converting to fabrication parts is a click of a button. I find a lot of errors when converting. Things like elbows wanting to swap between radius and square. Taps rotating. Wrong type of taps. And even things looking like they blew up because Revit just didn't seem to know what to do.

Am I expecting too much from Revit? Is manually converting normal? It seems like the only way to really get it right is to manually do it. And if this is the case with you guys as well I'm going to have to explain this to management and make my points so they know a fair amount of the model will need to be manually redrawn.

If maybe you guys could explain to me how you handle these things that would help a lot.
CAMduct 2018/2019

Offline craigjonnson

Sounds about right. I do however concentrate on smaller area's at a time, other than pipework. Starting off with piping, selecting a system in the system browser works quite well for me, but I would never use this for ductwork. Ductwork seems to be more temperamental. Tab > selecting a run at a time seems to work best but make sure you filter out the selection to Ducts and fittings only. I still find that I have to redraw in all round pops and most transitions. The bends mitred or radius can have their selections set, so not to use. So its either all Mitred or Radius depending on what you want.
I also find that having my cad database set to inside dims on the lining, means i cannot add lining to the ductwork after the conversion has been made.
2019 has a bug if you apply lining and use the optimise command, plus the new step down connector omitting the G Ext looks great but reports lengths out incorrectly.

Offline effimero89Topic starter

Sounds about right. I do however concentrate on smaller area's at a time, other than pipework. Starting off with piping, selecting a system in the system browser works quite well for me, but I would never use this for ductwork. Ductwork seems to be more temperamental. Tab > selecting a run at a time seems to work best but make sure you filter out the selection to Ducts and fittings only. I still find that I have to redraw in all round pops and most transitions. The bends mitred or radius can have their selections set, so not to use. So its either all Mitred or Radius depending on what you want.
I also find that having my cad database set to inside dims on the lining, means i cannot add lining to the ductwork after the conversion has been made.
2019 has a bug if you apply lining and use the optimise command, plus the new step down connector omitting the G Ext looks great but reports lengths out incorrectly.

Thanks.

Yes ductwork does seem to be picky. When I approach my managers is it fair to say that "When converting in Revit you will need to do a fair amount of manual redrawing due to the nature of how fabrication converts automatically?" 

CAMduct 2018/2019

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
yes but put automatically in air quotes when you do it.  ;)
Ken Taylor - (Limbach Eng & Design Services, LEDS)
Have you seen any good youtube videos <--- lately? ;)
AutoCAD MEP V16, Fabrication 2016/17/18...Dell Precision 7710 i7-2.70 GHz/32 GB RAM