Author Topic: CADmep vs Revit  (Read 2067 times)

Offline dfioriniTopic starter

CADmep vs Revit
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:01 AM »
Looking into slowly switching over to Revit.

Where Revit doesn't offer "Design Line" or "Multi Service line", What are some of the benefits to Revit that offset the drawing speed that you are losing?     
Thank you.
David Fiorini

Offline ScottieM

• Premier Member
Re: CADmep vs Revit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »
From every subcontractor I've talked to that switched or is switching, none.
I've been told by Autodesk if you don't need to switch, don't.
But every software sales person I've talked uses the pitch of "Everyone is doing it and you don't want to be left behind."
The best, and truthful is, "All the engineers and architects are using it, and that is the way business is moving."
It's not an efficiency switch, and it's a major disruptor.
Have we used it and are planning for it, yes.

Scott M.
The Dude Abides

Offline jmerch

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 13:13:50 PM »
I was currently looking down the Revit path as well using Fabricaiton but I see a lot of disrupted workflows. I can see the benefit and efficiency in using Revit but not geared towards Fabrication. Autodesk seemed to have just dumped Fab into Revit and walked away. Basic tools/commands not available OR you have to pay a 3rd party for them is ridiculous. I'm still wanting to give it a try for a small project but don't think it's going to be useful as it should be.
Intel i7-6700K @ 4 GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia Quadro M5000 - W10x64 - MEP & FABRICATION 2014/2017 - NAVIS 2017 - REVIT 2017.1

Offline acad2015

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 13:34:34 PM »
We have attempted at making the switch. It was not quick and it took a lot of work, but when we did get into using it fully the benefits were:
Easy project setup and easy to change when we got new information. Drawing large amounts of the buildings quickly. Setting up sheet files quickly. We were able to interact with the different trades and in-house easier. And a couple other small benefits.
Some of the cons:
Huge learning curve for our guys who have been using Fab for 5+ years. You have to draw with a different mentality and that took them awhile. Third party software was not required but makes things easier. The spooling process is non-existent in my opinion. (That's one area where the third party software comes in). You still have to deal with the database in cad then reload it in Revit.

I said we attempted.  We switched from using Fab 2017 to using Revit 2018.1. We tried to make the switch on a pretty good size project. We got a couple floors up and the problems that kept popping up were small issues but there was a lot of them. Ultimately, we decided to shelf it for the time being with the intent to reevaluate using it on the next project. I do believe we will switch but I don't think the program is there yet.

Offline ShawnBassplayer

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 15:01:38 PM »
We use Revit.. especially on the plumbing side.  Works pretty good.  I will admit that I never really gave CADmep a chance as we only got into detailing a couple years ago.... and we knew that Autodesk was pushing the Revit route.

While there are some unfun headaches that will come with the switch... I think you will like it after its all said and done.

Revit is great at coordination with other disciplines (structure, sprink, electrical, etc.).  And Revit does a great job creating the sheet views.   I never did like the way Autocad dealt with 3D sheets.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 15:08:09 PM »
Anyone I know that's switched and stuck with it says it's faster to detail in Revit than in CADmep. They have however also built some efficiency tools like commands that will pin/unpin objects as disconnects are still an issue Autodesk has been unable to completely resolve. They've also either built their own spooling or use Victaulic's.

If you use EST, there definitely are now disconnected workflows. Autodesk had the only fully 5d MEP package on the market and they're walking away from it. While frustrating, I don't know that it's a bad thing. Autodesk is incapable of moving quickly and they hire the wrong people who just don't understand what's needed in this industry.

Offline Tstright

• Premier Member
    • United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 20:22:16 PM »
I was currently looking down the Revit path as well using Fabricaiton but I see a lot of disrupted workflows. I can see the benefit and efficiency in using Revit but not geared towards Fabrication. Autodesk seemed to have just dumped Fab into Revit and walked away. Basic tools/commands not available OR you have to pay a 3rd party for them is ridiculous. I'm still wanting to give it a try for a small project but don't think it's going to be useful as it should be.

100% ^^^^^^^^
"Only the Skilled Survive"