Author Topic: LIMAC double blade post processor  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Dave MTopic starter

• DaveM AEC Consulting
LIMAC double blade post processor
« on: May 17, 2018, 23:20:27 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for some assistance with G code modification to run a double knife board cutting manchine.
 One knife is straight blade, other knife is a 45 deg angled blade.
 Both knife heads rotate in order to cut in all directions.

I have configured the CAMduct software using the AXYZ post processors.

The machine suppliers provided the controller with Autocad & CAMduct & suggested the workflow was to create dxf files in CAMduct & then use Autocad to create double layered G code.

The NC files require an additional command code 'C' to rotate the 45 deg angled blade to cut 'V's for folds but the Post Processor will not generate the required command for this part of the cutting process.

Just wondered if anyone out there could provide a solution so that CAMduct will generate G code including the C code to rotate the angled knife head?

Using Windows 10 & CAMduct 2018 - Sample NC file attached as provided by LIMAC machine supplier
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 23:24:45 PM by Dave M »

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: LIMAC double blade post processor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 17:17:46 PM »
Custom Post might be the best option. You should be able to define about anything you want in there.

• DaveM AEC Consulting
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:48:37 AM »
Thanks Darren,
thats what ADSK suggested.

Being a complete virgin at creating custom posts I started to investigate & got completely lost.

Do you know if there is any way of starting with an existing post & then modifying to generate the C code I require?

It looks like a complete minefield & I'm concerned that if I get something slightly wrong I'll break the LIMAC machine!!!

I'm trying to create a 'C' code to rotate the 45 angled blade so it will cut the 45 deg groove for folding so 1st pass is '0' deg & second pass is '180' deg.
I've been told by ADSK that the blade rotation is controlled at the controller but all the sample NC files have the 'C' code within them so obviously the machine controller needs to read this to drive the head rotation.

I would expect someone out there has come across this before and requested a post to perform the operation?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:13:36 AM by Dave M »

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 14:34:40 PM »
Never played w/Duct Board. Can you post a sample file?

Do you have a programming guide or manual that explains the code the machine controller supports?

I would tend to think as well that the control would handle the rotation....it knows the direction of travel and the proper rotation. If you tried to cut a radius, the blade should rotate as it traverses around the radius.

I've dealt w/knife cutters years ago (Vinyl) but they were all driven from HPGL like the old pen plotters.

The Custom Posts are confusing but once you start to understand them it's not too bad. However, I don't recall seeing anything in there that would allow you to determine the direction of travel and hence a blade rotation.

• DaveM AEC Consulting
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »
Hi Darren,
Attached a couple of sample NC files (Provided by machine manufacturer I believe)
You will notice the 'C' blade rotation command in the files.

Looks like there is no way to control the knife rotation at the controller & this has to be done in the G code.

I understand the users workflow is to generate a dxf file from CAMduct & then open in Autocad to create a double layer dxf file?
I'm reaching out to the user to confirm what the machine supplier has provided regarding documentation & file generation workflow.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 14:10:35 PM »
So, in the last sample, what does C630 or C540 do?  IS it simple a multiple of 90 and represents C270 and C180 respectively?

I'd also like to see how a radius looks (G02/G03).

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 14:42:37 PM »
Real quick, I added another line in the Rapid move for the angle. Not sure if that's correct, it looks that way for some of them. But maybe it's enough of a hint to get you going w/a custom post.

• DaveM AEC Consulting
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2018, 13:30:25 PM »
Thanks Darren,
I'm in Sydney visiting the business in a couple of weeks so should be able to get a better idea of what they are doing (or trying to do!!)