Author Topic: Fabrication Tracker getting started  (Read 459 times)

Offline effimero89Topic starter

Fabrication Tracker getting started
« on: Jul 09, 2018, 10:03:13 PM »
Were starting to use Tracker for basic stuff.

All I want to do it put a barcode on one of my reports that gets scanned and lets me know when a job is being started and manufacture has begun.

Very simple but I am not figuring this out with the tracker set up and the barcode labels in camduct. I am not sure how to connect the label getting scanned to a status change that I can see.

I've gone through the Autodesk documentation but I need a bit of a walkthrough with this to get me started.

CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline Dean Huynh

Re: Fabrication Tracker getting started
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
Hi Effimero89!

As my understanding, when you scan (whatever information you pick to be encoded as barcode/qr code) your label, the text will then stored into the memory of your scanner handle. After that you need to connect that scanner to a PC with Tracker installed, to be able to change status (you can set status with color in your database) you need to manually pick the status you want to change from status A to status B (which are pre-defined by you) then Tracker will load all the info that you stored in your handle and find exactly that job/id and change the status from A to B.

From what I experienced is that this process will require the operator to update what he scan daily/hourly if you want to track job really often but I don't know how to make it like a live update.

Do you just want to update after one day of manufacturing or you want a live update (real time)?

Interesting things to do though to keep track the process, I also try to track as every single station which the piece go through to update status but it seems a bit hard with Tracker, might need a third party ?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
Hi Effimero89!

As my understanding, when you scan (whatever information you pick to be encoded as barcode/qr code) your label, the text will then stored into the memory of your scanner handle. After that you need to connect that scanner to a PC with Tracker installed, to be able to change status (you can set status with color in your database) you need to manually pick the status you want to change from status A to status B (which are pre-defined by you) then Tracker will load all the info that you stored in your handle and find exactly that job/id and change the status from A to B.

From what I experienced is that this process will require the operator to update what he scan daily/hourly if you want to track job really often but I don't know how to make it like a live update.

Do you just want to update after one day of manufacturing or you want a live update (real time)?

Interesting things to do though to keep track the process, I also try to track as every single station which the piece go through to update status but it seems a bit hard with Tracker, might need a third party ?

Thanks for the reply!

Im starting to think Ill need 3rd party. Fabrication tracker seems limited for what Im looking for. To start, I just want some type of dashboard on my PC that tells me when "X" has started and "X" job has shipped.

I may be overestimating what tracker can and cant do.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2018, 02:33:19 AM »
Yeah, I tried something similar with small arduino kit and free server so the scanner connected to Arduino kit with wifi board, everytime it scan the info will push through to an excel sheet online in base PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOPSFgfohWw

Offline dbanker

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
Have you looked into ManufactOn? It's pretty comprehensive in what it can do. We just saw a demo of it a few days ago. In fact it's too comprehensive for us. We're looking into the Fabrication Tracker that comes with CAMduct which is what i believe you are using now. We need something simpler.
CAD/BIM/IT Manager
(CADmep, ESTmep, CAMduct, Revit, Navisworks, BIM 360 Docs)

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »
Yeah, I tried something similar with small arduino kit and free server so the scanner connected to Arduino kit with wifi board, everytime it scan the info will push through to an excel sheet online in base PC.

Well, now you've got my interest... This looks simple enough to implement. Is there a ready to use a version of this? I'm not entirely sure they will allow me the time to develop this. I'm not experienced with Arduino.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline chvajcin

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
We made an app for android phone, that uses built in camera to scan QR codes on the items, and after you scan as much items you want, you simply send tracker sif. file as an attachement to email. PC  operator then just opens the sif file and click change statuses. Works ok.

Offline Dean Huynh

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »

Well, now you've got my interest... This looks simple enough to implement. Is there a ready to use a version of this? I'm not entirely sure they will allow me the time to develop this. I'm not experienced with Arduino.

Hi Effimero89. I will look into my files to check if it's still there and send through.
Cheers,