Author Topic: Is Revit satisfying everyone for Fabrication purposes?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline dbankerTopic starter

Is Revit satisfying everyone for Fabrication purposes?
« on: Jul 12, 2018, 20:31:29 PM »
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how well Revit is doing for Fabrication? We just started a few small projects in Revit and have run into some challenges (mostly trades not updating their models... >:() The most common is the Item Numbering.

I'm a big believer in Revit but want to make sure it's up to par for Fabrication when my guys are used to CADmep.
Doug Banker
BIM/IT Manager
(CADmep, ESTmep, CAMduct, Revit, Navisworks, BIM 360)

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: Is Revit satisfying everyone for Fabrication purposes?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2018, 14:03:58 PM »
Most of the larger firms using Revit have written their own renumber tool (as well as Spooling, etc.) or purchsed an add-in to do these types of things.

Victaulic has some tools you get buy as well as Applied Software.

Offline effimero89

Re: Is Revit satisfying everyone for Fabrication purposes?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2018, 14:03:29 PM »
Hi!

Were 4 months out with Fabrication and I personally love it and think its best for us.

Renumbering Items took me some time. I managed to write my own tool with dynamo, however, the shop and field wanted the function "Number identical items the same". So, if you have a run of straight they will all have the same number. I didn't have the time to develop that because it requires a fair amount more work.

So I opted for us to by the Revit Renumbering Tool by Applied software. It's $100 per year per user. I personally think its worth it but we are a larger business.

Until Autodesk adds that tool into Revit its what we will do for now.

I can tell you now people will be upset and pissed off making the change. I have personally converted 10's of thousands of pounds of duct with Revit and Fabrication. And since we also make all of our own duct and I had to set up and learn all of CAMduct. This was about a 4-month process with many headaches. So, ANY questions you have please feel free to email me anytime at tmistretta@gamewellmech.com.

The bottom line is that I really like the process and the direction we are heading
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019