Author Topic: nesting parts together  (Read 215 times)

Offline chvajcinTopic starter

nesting parts together
« on: Aug 10, 2018, 08:03:16 PM »
Hello there,
we are trying to get optimalized auto nesting in our shop. When we cut items in project where are like 30 sheets, shop spend "hours" finding parts that should fit together to make item, as in extreme way, each 1 of 4 transition panels can be somewhere in those 30 sheets.

Anyone have some solution (workaround) for this? Tried different settings, but can not get good results... Autonesting has poor settings available anyway...

Offline Rick Hillson

Re: nesting parts together
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »
we did a time study that showed keeping batches to about 25 fittings allowed it to go thru the shop faster. a lot less sorting
We also added a watermark to the piece tags so sorting was faster

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • M+W Hargreaves
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
You could look into using "Item nest priorities" or maybe "Group by item".

I had a look into Item nest priorities for the same reason you have but I could never get it to work as I wanted it to. True, it used to place parts closer together in the nests than before but nothing that would make a big difference.

One thing to remember is that if you try to govern how it nests you are likely to have more material usage. We decided just to sort items once they were cut....
"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Offline effimero89

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »
I agree with what Don is saying. This issue came across my mind and I actually already had it enabled to nest in that order by default.

It's ok at best. I do believe the ultimate purpose of the software is to be optimized as much as possible. So while it does "think" to nest it in order. It wants to be efficient more so.

My suggestion, divide take-offs into smaller take-offs.

When I had a drawing to send for downloading. I would group by pressure class. This led to massive downloads of up to 80 sheets of metal. and over 600+ labels.

I decided to divide the drawings by system instead. So 1 download was supply one was return etc. This led to more manageable downloads being sent.

I personally think this is the best option.

CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • M+W Hargreaves
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »
I agree with what Don is saying. This issue came across my mind and I actually already had it enabled to nest in that order by default.

It's ok at best. I do believe the ultimate purpose of the software is to be optimized as much as possible. So while it does "think" to nest it in order. It wants to be efficient more so.

My suggestion, divide take-offs into smaller take-offs.

When I had a drawing to send for downloading. I would group by pressure class. This led to massive downloads of up to 80 sheets of metal. and over 600+ labels.

I decided to divide the drawings by system instead. So 1 download was supply one was return etc. This led to more manageable downloads being sent.

I personally think this is the best option.

This makes a lot of sense, we went down the same route some time ago. Instead of a huge drawing issue which takes a lot of time to cut, same for machining, same for folding e.t.c. splitting it into smaller chunks means you are actually making finished pieces a lot faster. We do this for all kinds of duct Galv DW144, Stainless welded, e.t.c.
"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • Sheet Metal Workers International
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »
Yes that is exactly what Rick Recommended!
Course a shop can adjust the download size according to the size of the space they have to sort the blanks, but smaller cuts as he stated are the way to go.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018, 07:50:51 PM by cadbob »
Live like you golf. Don't forget to follow through