Author Topic: What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?  (Read 145 times)

Offline jaysomlamTopic starter

What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?
« on: Sep 14, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Please let me know what the limitations in using the free trial of CAMduct 2019.  I understand that it is limited to 30-days free trial period.  What are the other limitations?

I am asking this because I have a hard time setting up a new stiffener.  I can assign the new stiffener to a duct through the use of a specification, and I can manually assign it to a duct.  But the duct is still missing the stiffener after I have saved the duct (doesn't show up in the Items Folder under "Stiffener #1" column).  Existing stiffeners that come with the free trial don't have this problem.  After I have renamed an existing stiffener to a new name (like "Test TR1"), the "new" stiffener also has the same problem that I have mentioned above.  I have a feeling that CAMduct free trial doesn't want a user to use his stiffeners. But I am not 100% sure.  That's why I ask.

I also ask this question to find out if there are other limitations in CAMduct free trial.  Then I won't waste my time trying things that CAMduct free trial won't allow me to do anyway.

Any info is appreciated.

Jaysom

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
Re: What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
There should be no functionality differences between CAMduct in Trial mode and a purchased version.  It just stops working after 30 days or whatever the trial period is.

Offline aloisiarai

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »
Can confirm. I was using the trial version till we purchased recently and it there is no difference. And I was adjusting stiffener settings.

Offline effimero89

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Ive never known any autodesk products to limit any functions at all.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:02:24 PM »
Thanks for all the encouraging info about the free trial.  This means I can focus on the stiffener setting to see what went wrong.

Jaysom

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
Turn out this is just my misunderstanding of what the "Stiffener #1" column is supposed to show.  That column only shows the stiffener that is applied to the duct _if_ only the duct needs any stiffener.  Even if the edit-duct screen shows that it needs a stiffener during the course of editing the properties of the duct, CAMduct seems to do a last minute check when it saves the duct and may decide that the duct doesn't need any stiffener after all.  That results with the edit-duct screen shows that a duct needs a stiffener, but the Item Folder shows no stiffener for the same duct.

This simply means that this is a case of wrong expectation in my part.  I am glad that this is no longer a problem.  Thanks for all the posts that have pointed out the free trial doesn't have any limitation, and I just need to keep trying to figure this out.

Jaysom

Offline cyan

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »
If you're not going to use it for commercial purposes, you can also get your hands on it for 3 years (last I checked anyway) with a student license.

https://www.autodesk.com/education/home

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
This is for commercial purpose.  Therefore, we are not qualified for student discount.

In any case, we will be getting a license soon.

Jaysom