Author Topic: What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline jaysomlamTopic starter

What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?
« on: Sep 14, 2018, 19:08:34 PM »
Please let me know what the limitations in using the free trial of CAMduct 2019.  I understand that it is limited to 30-days free trial period.  What are the other limitations?

I am asking this because I have a hard time setting up a new stiffener.  I can assign the new stiffener to a duct through the use of a specification, and I can manually assign it to a duct.  But the duct is still missing the stiffener after I have saved the duct (doesn't show up in the Items Folder under "Stiffener #1" column).  Existing stiffeners that come with the free trial don't have this problem.  After I have renamed an existing stiffener to a new name (like "Test TR1"), the "new" stiffener also has the same problem that I have mentioned above.  I have a feeling that CAMduct free trial doesn't want a user to use his stiffeners. But I am not 100% sure.  That's why I ask.

I also ask this question to find out if there are other limitations in CAMduct free trial.  Then I won't waste my time trying things that CAMduct free trial won't allow me to do anyway.

Any info is appreciated.

Jaysom

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: What are the Limitations of the Free Trial of CAMduct?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2018, 20:44:44 PM »
There should be no functionality differences between CAMduct in Trial mode and a purchased version.  It just stops working after 30 days or whatever the trial period is.

Offline aloisiarai

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2018, 21:13:39 PM »
Can confirm. I was using the trial version till we purchased recently and it there is no difference. And I was adjusting stiffener settings.

Offline effimero89

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Ive never known any autodesk products to limit any functions at all.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 13:02:24 PM »
Thanks for all the encouraging info about the free trial.  This means I can focus on the stiffener setting to see what went wrong.

Jaysom

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2018, 16:09:33 PM »
Turn out this is just my misunderstanding of what the "Stiffener #1" column is supposed to show.  That column only shows the stiffener that is applied to the duct _if_ only the duct needs any stiffener.  Even if the edit-duct screen shows that it needs a stiffener during the course of editing the properties of the duct, CAMduct seems to do a last minute check when it saves the duct and may decide that the duct doesn't need any stiffener after all.  That results with the edit-duct screen shows that a duct needs a stiffener, but the Item Folder shows no stiffener for the same duct.

This simply means that this is a case of wrong expectation in my part.  I am glad that this is no longer a problem.  Thanks for all the posts that have pointed out the free trial doesn't have any limitation, and I just need to keep trying to figure this out.

Jaysom

Offline cyan

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 13:25:11 PM »
If you're not going to use it for commercial purposes, you can also get your hands on it for 3 years (last I checked anyway) with a student license.

https://www.autodesk.com/education/home

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 20:02:59 PM »
This is for commercial purpose.  Therefore, we are not qualified for student discount.

In any case, we will be getting a license soon.

Jaysom

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2018, 21:28:23 PM »
Consider applying for an Autodesk Developer Network Membership. ADN Standard gives you access to most products for development purposes which eliminates the need for you to have extra licenses for your development use.

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/membership-options