Author Topic: Import order  (Read 1794 times)

Offline SvenBraemTopic starter

Import order
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 14:40:29 PM »
Hello

I'm quite new to CAMduct so this is maybe an easy/stupid question...

How can I import an order?

We've added most of our products in CAMduct catalogue, but now I want an easy method to import my orders...

example

order
2 x straight 500 x 200 mm , length 1500 with 1 loose connector
1 x bend 90° 500 x 200 mm, with fixed connectors

Those items already exist in CAMduct thanks to the catalogue we've already created, but now I have to select them manualy and add them to our 'Job'.

thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
Re: Import order
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 16:38:19 PM »
The first thing I would do is set up a folder structure to save your jobs into ie a convenient folder on the network where you will keep the maj files. I keep mine in a folder named "x:\CAMduct Drawings" for example. Within that I have subfolders for all the different contracts so they can be found or new jobs added easily. CAMduct by default saves them to a folder like:

C:/Users/Public/Documents/Autodesk/Fabrication <version>/Imperial Content/<version>/PROJECTS/ , but you can specify a different location.

To do that you need to run "Edit configuration" from the start menu > Autodesk > and then look in your CAMduct version it should be in there. From there set a location (under "Project") of your choice so that when you open or do a new job it will follow that path.

To create a new job you can:

•From the Utility Bar, click the New Job button.
•From the File menu, click File  New Job.
•From the Job Browser dialog, click the New Job button.

Clicking the New Job button from the Utility Bar displays the Job Wizard dialog. On the Job Wizard dialog, to create a new job, choose one of the following options on the New Job tab:
•Takeoff New Job: Select "Takeoff New Job" then click Next to display the Enter Job Information dialog. This creates a New Job using the Global database, creating a .MAJ file type.

Enter your required items and save.

I recommend reading through the "Fabrication Help Files", click "Help" on the top menu bar and click "Contents" you will find further information in there.

Hope this gets you started.... :)

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018, 16:49:28 PM by Don »
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

Offline SvenBraemTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2018, 14:20:26 PM »
Don

Thanks for your reply.

I think my question wasn't quite clear. I/we know how to work with CAMduct, but right now we have our ERP-software (SAP Business One) to imput our order... and then we have to imput the items to produce in CAMduct...

Right now we already save some time because we have Catalogue items in CAMduct. But I would like to export our order from SAP B1 to excel or csv and than import the order in CAMduct.

Is this possible/easy to do?

regards

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2018, 14:30:48 PM »
You can certainly import tables into the costing database from csv files, but I do not know of a way to import actual items into CAMduct from a csv file.

It would be great if it was possible to upload from SAP. Maybe someone else could confirm yes or no....  ???
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

Offline Sirius

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2018, 13:25:38 PM »
Yes, it can be done, or at least it used to be an available option.
There was a Text import function using a batch process, not sure if it is still supported.
I set one up quite a few years ago, so I'm a bit vague on the specifics.

Basically CAMduct (the one I set up was actually "Profile Master") runs as a background task, monitoring an input "WORK" folder, the ERP system saves an order as an appropriately formatted text file into the "WORK" folder, CAMduct moves the text file into a "PROCESS" folder, processes the file and performs the specified "Process" (eg add parts to Job, Autonest, WriteNC, export material usage data etc., Print Label & Reports - or whatever you set up in your process) then moves the text file to a COMPLETED folder.
Untouched by human hands - magic!

It was an extra cost option back in the day so, as I said, not sure if it's still supported - probably best to ask your reseller if it's still available before you get too exited.

Offline Sirius

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 13:36:18 PM »
Looks like the current version of this function is called "Batch Import" and is a standard inclusion.

Here's a link to the Help Topic, hope it "Helps"...…
http://help.autodesk.com/view/FABRICATION/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-3FEF7AA3-EB84-4AF7-BE07-16A96B1B1F6A
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018, 13:37:50 PM by Sirius »