Author Topic: Looking ahead....  (Read 3485 times)

Offline VirtualPilotTopic starter

• Premier Member
Looking ahead....
« on: Oct 09, 2018, 13:46:34 PM »
We are still on REL18, mainly because of all the problems I have seen others having with 19 here and don't need to be resolving issues as busy as we are... but, I have not seen any progress on any Fabrication in years now, I feel as if AutoDesk has abandoned the Suite, I can't even recall the last time a Hot Fix has been issued, much less new content...

Am I alone in these sentiments?  :-\
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
Re: Looking ahead....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2018, 14:33:59 PM »
No VP you are not!

I'm only on the CAM side so I can only vouch for what I see with that but I've commented on issues that I have found for years and little or nothing has been implemented. Some of these are fundamental things that would help most users, not just things that I would like to see.

It was better when MAP was the point of contact for me, but now it is Autodesk they make all the right indications that they are looking into things but it usually ends up getting logged with the developers and not getting actioned.

Now Andy has gone I fear very little development will happen going forward.... >:(
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2018, 18:15:50 PM »
Their plan seems to be "Here's the API - You fix it". These are the new features that were getting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCi9uHJ8xM

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2018, 13:50:07 PM »
I would be more than happy if they deploy a CID Developing/Editing tool, half of our problems would go away...  ;)
Santos Cedeno

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2018, 23:55:41 PM »
They ain't developing nothing....just taking in money and laughing at us.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 17:52:07 PM »
Figured I would stir the pot some! Aall welcome to add to my thread! :)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fabrication-CADmep-forum/updates-or-service-packs/td-p/8324693

When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline lsm_drafter

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:40:40 AM »
Figured I would stir the pot some! Aall welcome to add to my thread! :)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fabrication-CADmep-forum/updates-or-service-packs/td-p/8324693

It took me over an hour to post a reply that wasn't a dissertation on my disdain for Revit!
You've got to eat them before they eat you!
CADmep 2017.0.0.F (26), AutoCAD 2017 x64
Windows 10 x64 on 256gb SSD, Corei7-7700K 4.2ghz 32gb RAM
8GB 256bit NVidia GeForce GTX1070, Dual 24" Monitors

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
I too have had a few change requests, with regards to dynamic holes and node positions. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2018, 14:02:44 PM »
Is anyone out there Developing a package similar or equal to Fabrication that we can start taking a look at?
Santos Cedeno

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2018, 16:39:22 PM »
https://www.evolvemep.com/

Brett Stacks is there now after having been @ Trimble & Autodesk.

Regardless of the hat he's worn, he's always been an advocate for the user. They're really the only ones picking up the pieces and moving forward were Autodesk dropped the ball on the Revit side.

The only other option is SysQue which IMO, it's biggest problem is Trimble's lack of strategy and investment. Trimble buys businesses for revenue. They have no strategy to integrate things like Autodesk. They now have 3 detailing product lines (EastCoast, Pipe/Duct Designer and SysQue).  Similar patterns have happened in the Estimating side of the house (AutoBid, Estimation, Accubid, Viewpoint) and on the CAM side (Eastcoast, Vulkan(Toolshop).  I think of Trimble as were good software goes to die. When it's obsolete, they just buy another company/product (revenue).  They way I think of Trimble, is the same as being hungry...I can go to the grocery store and buy a snickers bar at the checkout. Quick fix but not really what I need for long term health.

Autodesk on the other hand has a strategy to integrate everything. Lots of promises but generally lacks domain knowledge deep enough to get people what they really need (in MEP anyway) or if they do, lacks the ambition to get into that much detail. I think of them like my mother's Thankgiving dinner. She spent all day in the kitchen cooking and you couldn't eat a thing all day while you waited for this great meal. When it comes, the turkey is dry, gravy cold, mashed potatoes were lumpy and it was the wrong type of cranberry sauce.

What I really wanted and needed was a sandwich. Applied Software with their eVolve Mechanical product line, and GTP's Stratus are really the only two players I see who are trying to serve the customers. eVolve is tackling the worlkflow issues and shortfalls of Autodesk in Revit. GTP's Stratus is really doing something different but equally important and helpful that nobody else is doing (FabPro1 is kind of doing it but approaching it differently) . I don't see a lot of overlap between those two at this point and hopefully they'll continue to work well together and play nice.

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2018, 03:56:06 AM by Darren Young »

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
Well, well we have a Patch for CADmep, the pdf does not list much for fixes, but and I tested after applying the bug with Manage Database and that is fixed and not listed so I'm betting there is more to fix than PDF divulges.

Fabrication CADmep 2019.1 Update
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline dexyweescot

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
i got it this morning too. also 2018.3

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
This is where our subscription money is going! Not on Fabrication improvements  :'( >:(

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/20/autodesk-agrees-to-buy-plangrid-for-875-million/
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2018, 21:01:35 PM »
This is where our subscription money is going! Not on Fabrication improvements  :'( >:(

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/20/autodesk-agrees-to-buy-plangrid-for-875-million/

Another company that will disappear of the face of the earth, Autodesk already has an iPad viewer, this is their tactic for as long as I can remember, buy the competition, gather a few tricks and dissolve...
Santos Cedeno