Author Topic: Node Constraints  (Read 1773 times)

Offline dopefishTopic starter

Node Constraints
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 21:39:31 PM »
Is there a ways to set the designline to fill in certain nodes? I am trying to get the upright wye to fill in with the correct branch size and then draw in vent off the branch in a seperate line.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline Steadtler

Re: Node Constraints
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2018, 23:15:08 PM »
It doesn't appear that Design Line can handle this situation - unless it is possible using custom programming.  In any event, most people who use the software don't have the time to deal with such customization.

I manually placed an NHCI upright wye along with a couple of pipes in/out of the fitting and used REVDESIGN to create a Design Line (see A). I then copied the DL and used 3D fill but the software could not correctly produce/place the upright wye fitting (see B).

I then tried manually placing an upright wye and add Design Lines to the fitting end connections (see C) - pipe was added but no couplings. I could have added couplings but isn't that Design Line's job?

Apparently an upright wye fitting would be treated like a wye with 8th bend but since there is no vertex where the wye branch and 8th bend would meet, populating with Design Line fails but a wye and 8th bend fills correctly (see D). 

Makes you think twice about using upright wyes with Design Lines....

Offline dopefishTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 16:07:33 PM »
Yeah I can get it to populate the upright. The problem is it bases the size constraint on the run it was cut in on so i get a 4"x4" instead of the 4"x3". Not a huge deal, i can make a subassembly or just manually drop one in. But if there was some more advanced designline fu to learn I was hoping to get in on it.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2018, 20:06:44 PM »
As far as I know Upright Wyes will not fill in designline, your lines would have to be PERFECTLY in line everytime so it doesn't seem to have been programmed in.
If you need one, place the upright wye and connect your designlines to it (add coupling nodes on the end of the lines where it connects to the upright wye nodes).
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline frozen3

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 16:36:25 PM »
Ditto CNASH.

I haven't looked into sub-assemblies or templates at all due to the ease of just manually placing the upright wye and stretching the pipe to the nodes in the spool sheets.

Taking off with "fitting complex node" works somewhat better, but I can't get it to rotate the way I need 100% of the time. Also weird is it places the fitting at the last design line node placed. Tricky bear.

It's the only fitting I've ran across that won't fill properly. Complex nodes work for figure fittings pretty well, minus the couplings.