Author Topic: Add notches to square pattern  (Read 427 times)

Offline josh67219Topic starter

Add notches to square pattern
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
I have attached a photo of two types of fittings we use. The first one goes on round and has a option to add the notches we want(so we don't have to hand notch). The other picture "taps" into square duct and we have to run it through a notcher. The problem we run into is sometimes the duct is too heavy to run through our notch machine and we end up wasting a lot of time hand notching. Is there any way to add notches to the square fitting?

edit: the pictures are flipped for some reason. The 1st one is the square fitting and the 2nd is the round.

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Exyte Hargreaves
Re: Add notches to square pattern
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
Hi Josh,

The "Castle" options are only on items designed to sit on circular I think. Incidentally we just throw a 13mm (1/2 ") edge off on the curve which is wide enough for fixing.

Not sure why you would want to notch on a rectangular branch? We just fold out and spot/rivet as required.
"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
If something is exposed they typically use a 1"inside tap (where we have to notch the material). It hides the connection and looks nice. I prefer the 1" out as it is quicker to fabricate in the shop but everyone is different. I have looked everywhere in the program and cannot find the option. This was my last resort to try and save some time on these fittings.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • Cannistraro
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
2 Options for you.

1. Copy my screen shots

2. Import the Connector

;)
Live like you golf. Don't forget to follow through

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »
I appreciate the response but I was hoping there was something in the program that actually could cut the notch in the square pattern. The round has a option called "castle width" that actually will notch the round part for you. I attached a picture of a finished part that has the notches in it. I was trying to avoid having the guys notch the material through our machine.

Offline krxadam0

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
Im curious to know why you would rather have the notches burned out if you have a notcher? I would understand if you were physically notching them by hand with a pair of dovetails or snips? What speed does your table burn at? i average ours at about 350 IPM (which i know is on the slower end compared to others) depending on the material and thickness....which would increase burn time and consumables being used for the plasma table considerably if we did it that way.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
The Edge notcher we have struggles with 22 ga and heavier. Some of the field guys refuse to do 1"out and want 1" inside taps on heavier duct so we end up hand notching them. I would not have had the cutting table burn every tap out ever with the notches. Just the heavier gauged duct.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • Cannistraro
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
Ohhh, I did not realize you were looking for the actual Notch.

The Field Super or Foreman need to maybe talk with the guy's and make it a standard that the shop will be supplying 1" Flanges. Bending over or trying to bend over all those Tabs is time consuming and difficult especially on heavy gauge.  Then reaching in with tongs to try and tighten them up!!! 1" Flange and Zip screw it!
Live like you golf. Don't forget to follow through