Author Topic: Multiple specs in the same service.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline petecoTopic starter

Multiple specs in the same service.
« on: Apr 16, 2019, 22:50:36 PM »
Is it possible to have multiple specifications in the same service? My idea is to have templates, one rectangular, one round, but it looks like you can only set one specification as a default in that service. This doesn't work when I load the service into Revit-setting the spec at the default for rectangular means I have to manually select spec and material for every round piece, and vice-versa. I guess I can split them out if this can't be made to work.

All suggestions gratefully received...
I didn't touch it.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: Multiple specs in the same service.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2019, 13:25:54 PM »
Your spec should contain both Rect and Round in the same spec....and if you're unlucky enough to live in certain areas of the country...Oval too.

A single spec is used to handle all shapes.

This does mean a lot of redundancy in areas, it would be great to be able to apply a different spec per shape but it doesn't work that way.

The only other alternative is a separate service per shape which does not seem like a good idea.

Offline petecoTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2019, 15:15:57 PM »
Darren, I'm building my specs per the pressure classes laid out in SMACNA, so they're going to be different for rectangular and round. You answered my question though. I've got my specs and rec & round templates built, it's just a question of copying & pasting.

Thanks,
I didn't touch it.

Offline VirtualPilot

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2019, 20:05:06 PM »
...and if you're unlucky enough to live in certain areas of the country...Oval too.

URGHHHHH..... thank you Darren!   LOL
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2019, 03:25:51 AM »
Darren, I'm building my specs per the pressure classes laid out in SMACNA, so they're going to be different for rectangular and round. You answered my question though. I've got my specs and rec & round templates built, it's just a question of copying & pasting.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're building separate service template for rect/round?

I get SMACNA has different specs for rect and round. But a single specification can contain both, rect and round specs.

Create a new spec. One of the dropdowns below the name shows the "Shape". This is NOT assigning a shape to the spec.

Set the drop down to RECT. Add a few entries. Now set it to ROUND. The bottom of the screen will change columns. Add a few entries.  Now change it back to RECT and you'll see your original RECT entries.

This is similar to the STRAIGHT/FITTING/BOTH dropdown as well as material.

However, in the case of material, while you CAN have different entries for different materials in the SAME spec database entry, it's best practice to build a SPEC per material.

Offline cpoompan

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2019, 19:55:56 PM »
You should be able to do all shapes in the same service. The only issue with Revit is you cant really have multiple materials in each spec. After parts are drawn Revit only gives you the ability to change service, not spec or material. Because you must specify the spec in the service, it requires you to make single material services and matching spec files.

Offline patryduf

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 20:39:34 PM »
The only issue with Revit is you cant really have multiple materials in each spec. After parts are drawn Revit only gives you the ability to change service, not spec or material. Because you must specify the spec in the service, it requires you to make single material services and matching spec files.

Ok... I have made a service for stainless by copy/pasting from another spec containing multiple materials. That spec only contains stainless entries.
Goes well in Revit while takeoff. But when I want to "Change Service" with the button of the same name, the straights change service, material and specs ok, but the fittings only change services and stays with the same material and spec.
 Is it that I have to REMOVE the STAINLESS from the other spec? And why just the straights?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
"Whether you think you can or you can't - YOU'RE RIGHT."
"Que vous croyiez pouvoir ou non - VOUS AVEZ RAISON."

Yvon Dufresne - Novybec
CADmep, CAMduct, Revit, eVolve