Author Topic: Combine Identical Parts  (Read 4018 times)

Offline tnbndrTopic starter

• Premier Member
    • J.F. Ahern
Combine Identical Parts
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 14:09:19 PM »
I think this may be a bug, at least it is a pest on this end.
Our shop was complaining that there were pieces missing when they used their 3D Viewer to look at CAM's. At the UGLV I was told to uncheck "combine identical parts" in the database. That worked, they could see every piece in the CAM.
Now they are complaining on how our CAM's send duct to the coil line. They claim it is downloading each piece individually, which is apparently slow and screws up their productivity.
I ran test CAM's with that "combine identical parts" checked and unchecked and found that it affects multiple things. See attached pic of the reports for the CAM's. It appears that we need the "combine identical parts" checked for productivity reasons, so I would suggest that this setting should not affect what the 3D viewer shows. It should always show the entire CAM and all pieces, if that is possible.
I am going to send this to MAP_CC so that it is documented.
Any suggestions welcome, anyone else notice this?
Fabrication 2013
AutoCad 2013x64(Plain Jane)
HP Elite Book 8740W, Processor i7 - 2.4GHz, 8 GB RAM
WIN 7(Enterprise) 64 Bit, NVIDIA Quadro FX2800M Video

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
Re: Combine Identical Parts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 14:17:29 PM »
I have noticed that the stuff in the 3d viewer doesn't show up but we don't down load to our coil-line so I can't speak from that side of things.

Dennis, You guys download to the coil-line? I didn't even notice on the tour, I guess I forgot to ask. Either that or I was so used to our coil-line I just figured that everyone keys in the duct by hand.
Dave

• Premier Member
    • J.F. Ahern
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 15:15:33 PM »
Dave:
If you don't download to the coil line, uncheck that setting and see if everything shows up. It should.
We do download but there have been some issues along the way.
Fabrication 2013

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 16:19:00 PM »
I did forget to say that we do have that setting un-checked because of the problem you described. Only problem is that in CAM you can't recobine the items so they only show you multiple quantities. Unless this has been fixed and I haven't seen that yet.
Dave

Offline KCkornball

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 16:19:54 PM »
We have been dealing with that same issue here, not all of us though, which is the weird part. I haven't had time to go around and compare settings, but my coil line reports break out identical pieces as seperate line items as well.... I take an extra couple of minutes to delete and re-number 1 item to reflect the correct total. Sucks.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Offline Jabbster

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 16:01:34 PM »
...Our shop was complaining that there were pieces missing when they used their 3D Viewer to look at CAM's. At the UGLV I was told to uncheck "combine identical parts" in the database. That worked, they could see every piece in the CAM...

Hey Dennis, trying to make sure I follow. With "combine identical parts" checked, your CAM does download everything correctly right?
Is it just that in the 3D viewer, the shop can't see the duplicates? I think we noticed this but just shrugged it off as being another CADduct PM2000 issue that I didn't understand. Which probably outweighs the pile that I DO understand ::)
James
~~~~~
Autodesk Building Design Suite Ultimate 2018 - Fabrication CADmep 2018
Dell Precision 7720

• Premier Member
    • J.F. Ahern
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 16:20:42 PM »
Hey Dennis, trying to make sure I follow. With "combine identical parts" checked, your CAM does download everything correctly right?
Is it just that in the 3D viewer, the shop can't see the duplicates? I think we noticed this but just shrugged it off as being another CADduct PM2000 issue that I didn't understand. Which probably outweighs the pile that I DO understand ::)

James:
That is correct. (Although it still batches them goofy in the report, instead of 6 it will say 3 & 3 like it is separating them by "L" shaped halfs. I have not looked at the report the shop set up either)
But the shop also wants to see all of the identical parts in the 3D Viewer so this needs to be fixed.
Fabrication 2013

Offline CaddMan22

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 18:52:02 PM »
Has anyone checked to see if this is fixed in the new update ?
Thanks, Dino
AutoCAD 2019,2020,2021
Revit 2019,2020,2021
Fabrication CADmep 2019,2020,2021
Fabrication CAMduct 2019,2020,2021

Offline c2k

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2009, 23:23:49 PM »
I would suggest that this setting should not affect what the 3D viewer shows.

I agree.
We are leaving it unchecked so the CAM can view the entire run, but now on the worksheets that we print we are getting (for example) 20 instances of something that should just have 1 instance with a quantity of 20.
**CHRIS
AEC Collection
Fabrication CADmep & ESTmep

• Premier Member
    • J.F. Ahern
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2009, 01:52:52 AM »
It is alive again.
Can we get a nod from Nick as to whether this is on the radar screen?
Fabrication 2013

Offline c2k

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
Dennis, I started a wish list item that is related to this.

http://www.xtracad.com/forum/index.php?topic=6501

Figured I could at least work with it if I had the command line switch.  And then it doesn't affect anyone that likes it the way it is.
**CHRIS
AEC Collection
Fabrication CADmep & ESTmep

• Premier Member
    • J.F. Ahern
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
Let me know if it goes anywhere.
We are leaving it unchecked for now also.
Fabrication 2013

Offline Jabbster

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2019, 17:52:27 PM »
I began looking into this issue today, or more accurately an issue that results from this issue.

When the "Combine Identical Items" box is checked, and I "Createcam" from a CADmep drawing, it does what it is supposed to do when you open the maj on the CAM side. It lumps identical items into one line item with a multiple quantity, which sounds great. The problem is when you "Openjob" the same maj back into CADmep, you lose items where CAM shows multiple quantities. So that means if you were to "Createcam" from an "Openjob" you would end up with missing items. This isn't something we do on a regular basis, but I've had this box checked, but I think from now on I will uncheck it.

Hmmm, does Autodesk even care about bugs within CADmep?
James
~~~~~
Dell Precision 7720

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2019, 19:06:57 PM »
I began looking into this issue today, or more accurately an issue that results from this issue.

When the "Combine Identical Items" box is checked, and I "Createcam" from a CADmep drawing, it does what it is supposed to do when you open the maj on the CAM side. It lumps identical items into one line item with a multiple quantity, which sounds great. The problem is when you "Openjob" the same maj back into CADmep, you lose items where CAM shows multiple quantities. So that means if you were to "Createcam" from an "Openjob" you would end up with missing items. This isn't something we do on a regular basis, but I've had this box checked, but I think from now on I will uncheck it.

Hmmm, does Autodesk even care about bugs within CADmep?

Yes you will not see the xtra parts but the one that's in there will have it's quanity set. Right click on the part and go to CADmep properties to see.
The SoCAL (VERY OLDMAN NOW) Kid! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE  HOLIDAYS BOB  ::) ::)  
WIN 10 O.S
Revit/Fabrication 2022/BDSU 2022
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline Jabbster

• Premier Member
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2019, 19:18:37 PM »
Yes you will not see the xtra parts but the one that's in there will have it's quanity set. Right click on the part and go to CADmep properties to see.

You are right again Bob, thanks!

What's weird is that jobcontents only shows quantities of one, but double-clicking on the "grouped" fitting shows multiple quantities.
James
~~~~~
Dell Precision 7720