Author Topic: Cannot Change the Cut-Type of Straight Duct  (Read 299 times)

Offline jaysomlamTopic starter

Cannot Change the Cut-Type of Straight Duct
« on: Jun 05, 2019, 09:11:50 PM »
I am trying to change a straight duct from "Machine Cut" to "Decoiled Straight".  But it doesn't let me to change it.  Actually it doesn't allow me to change it to "Draw Only", or from "Decoiled Straight" to "Machine Cut" either.  Seem like its Cut-Type  is locked.  Meanwhile, I have no problem changing a transition duct from "Machine Cut" to "Draw Only".  What is stopping me from changing the cut-type of a straight duct?

Please help.  Thanks.

Jaysom

Re: Cannot Change the Cut-Type of Straight Duct
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
Seem like this is governed by a pattern option:

Pattern Options --> Straight --> Machine If Length <

As of now, this option is set at 72.  This means all the straight duct whose stretched out length is 72 will be decoiled straight.  Unfortunately, we still want to use 5-ft coils in some gauges.  This presents a problem.

How do we takeoff 5-ft straight duct to be decoiled straight?

Jaysom

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Exyte Hargreaves
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
I think the coil size has to be listed under "Decoiler > Standard Lengths" There has to be an entry in there for each coil size you are using. See pic...
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
Sorry for replying late.

Thanks for trying to help.  I have entered 72 and 60 in the Standard Lengths window for Straight in Pattern Options.  Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change anything.  When I draw a duct and manually enter 68" or 56" as its length, it is still default to Machine-Cut.  When I manually change its Cut-Type from Machine-Cut to Decoiler-Straight, the change doesn't stick.  I have also tried turning ON or OFF the "Always" option in the Standard Lengths window; but this doesn't seem to affect anything.

Seem like in order to assign a straight duct as a decoiler-straight, I have to choose "Auto" as its duct length.  If I manually assign a value (any value including 68 and 56), the decoiler straight duct immediately changes to become Machine-Cut.

If you know something has gone wrong, or if you have any suggestion, please let me know.  Thanks.

Jaysom

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »
So far, I find that I can do these:

1.  I can change the Cut-Type of a straight duct from Decoiler-Straight to Machine-Cut by simply assigning a specific duct length to the duct (such as 56, 68).

2.  I can change the Cut-Type of a straight duct from Machine-Cut to Decoiler-Straight by simply changing the duct length from a value to "Auto".  Unfortunately this only works if I the duct length is 68" (for 72" coil).

I find that I cannot do this:
-  I cannot change the Cut-Type of a straight duct from Machine-Cut to Decoiler-Straight if the duct length is NOT 68" <-- This is something that I would like to find out how to do this.

Jaysom

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:53:19 PM »
Finally I figured out the way to change the Cut-Type of a straight duct.  There is an "Override Cut Type" option in the Options page of a straight duct.  When I change this option in a straight duct, it also overrides the primary "Cut Type" property of the straight duct.

Jaysom

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2019, 06:36:08 PM »
Alternate approach would be to apply a different spec to the part that's configured for a shorter straight joint.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have just tested this, and you are right.  I create a specification with 5-ft as the default length, and use it to draw a straight duct with Length left as "Auto", and the straight duct becomes a decoiled straight with 56" finished length -- just the way I want it.  That is despite the fact that the Pattern Options for straights is set as "Machine Cut If Length < 72.0".  Seem like the default length setting inside the specification has overridden the setting in Pattern Options.  I didn't know that.  I thought that Pattern Option setting overrode everything.  I am glad that it is not.

I will keep this in mind if our draftsmen need to draw many duct using 5-ft coils (instead of our standard 6-ft) and don't want to be bothered with overriding the Cut-Type.

Jaysom