Author Topic: In wall piping water and waste  (Read 275 times)

Offline AlinaTopic starter

• Premier Member
In wall piping water and waste
« on: Jun 12, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
Just general question for plumbers.
Do you guys usually model in wall piping? If yes do you have dimensional info for rough in connections for waste and water? Maybe someone has a chart they can share
Thank you

Offline APD-DB

• Advanced Piping Design
Re: In wall piping water and waste
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2019, 02:19:53 AM »
I would say each job is different...there are multiple factors that into play. But here is the good news if you get all your submittals together and project documents and cabinet details it can be figured out.  I like to walk through this process with the foreman so everyone understands why things are at a specific elevation. 

You may want to ask the foreman if he is ok with the no-hub bands being in the concrete also.
Is your computer on?

Advanced Piping Design Inc.
Fernley, Nevada

Offline Tstright

• Premier Member
    • United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
That's hard to pin down... Depends on fixture cuts, company standards, superintendent/foreman opinions, code, A/E Requirements....
"Only the Skilled Survive"

Offline Phred

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »
If you could find 2 plumbers that would agree to the best way to accomplish the same task, I would say go ahead and model it.  I am a licensed engineer with 34 years experience in this business and still learning.  What I can tell you, is you are probably just wasting your time.  Drag an disabled plumber out of the field and train him to be a virtual CAD monkey vs trying to train a CAD monkey to be a plumber would be more cost effective, with much better results.  But a good knowledgeable and able plumber is much more valuable in the field paying for your overhead costs. Just reality, and my 2 cents worth.
autocad 2015
fabrication 2015

Offline Steadtler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2019, 01:37:00 AM »
In my opinion, it is needed only if you have situations where there is potential conflict with other trades, congested space, or multiple instances of the same piping/fixture configuration (ie. Hotels, hospitals, etc..).

In all cases, you will still need to account for the total pipe length and fitting count for purchasing.

The experience, qualifications, and time of all the people involve is the biggest factor in such a decision.  Typically, experienced plumbers won’t need the in-wall modeled (they probably won’t even look at it). Detailers seldom show in-wall modeling completely with supports, cans, bracing, connections to fittings, etc…and the shop probably will send out a package containing only what will be needed – field cutting required.

Offline AlinaTopic starter

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:00:52 PM »
Thank you for the information!