Author Topic: Waterjet Insulation Cut vs Rad Elbow Throat Cut  (Read 1328 times)

Offline ayoung8901Topic starter

Waterjet Insulation Cut vs Rad Elbow Throat Cut
« on: Apr 19, 2019, 13:42:58 PM »
Has anyone had any issues with their cut size of the insulation for radius elbows? We are seeming to be having this issue off of our waterjet table. When the shop guys go to install the insulation on the throat of the radius elbows (or even radical offsets) the insulation comes to 1"-2" short. But everything else is okay. I believe it has to do with the insulation 'shrinking' as you go around the radius. I would think there would be an adjustment inside the database that would let you counter the radius shrink of the insulation. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust this in the CAMduct database? Some kind of override? Thanks

Offline tnbquilt

• Premier Member
Re: Waterjet Insulation Cut vs Rad Elbow Throat Cut
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2019, 16:56:42 PM »
Yes we have had that problem. There are a few options in the database.

I attached a screen shot of how we have our insulation developments set inside of our most common liner. We also lie to the computer and tell it that the liner is 1/2" thick when it is really 1" thick. Our guys have trouble centering the liner on the fitting, so they had gaps on one side, so the boss said to lie to it so that the liner is actually squished in there on the edges.

I also went into the radius elbows and set the INSULATION PARTS option to Wraps Inside.

On the square elbows we make the throat and heel liner in 2 pieces each.

The length of the liner is still not perfect, but it is better. I think the heels may be a little long, but they don't mind trimming it.

We have other liners that are not so squishy, and we did not lie to the computer about their thicknesses.
Tammy Beaman BHW Sheet Metal Co.
Architecture 2011 - CADduct version 2.41.037

Offline ayoung8901Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2019, 19:53:42 PM »
Thank you for your insight. I am going to check this out and see what we get. Thanks again!

Offline ventcon

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2019, 18:36:25 PM »
You can set the length calculation to middle and that should do the same thing as making your insulation thickness 1/2 of the actual thickness. I used your settings and just changed that setting to middle instead of airside and it seems to be working on our end.
Fabrication CADmep2021