Author Topic: Anybody using Pipe cutting machines (CNC) that interface with CADmep?  (Read 614 times)

Offline zhersheyTopic starter

Hey guys,

We're looking at getting a pipe cutting CNC machine (Vernon Tool/Machitech/Watts) etc. Has anyone had any success interfacing the cutting software with CADmep?

From what I've seen, it looks like a STEP file is the main file type the software can read, which CADmep cannot produce.

I've heard of the 'GETRUN' command but don't have a whole lot of info on how that works and the info it provides. It almost looks like we'll just have an operator entering pipe lengths/hole sizes/locations from our PDF spool sheets.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Zach

Offline SSchmitt85

we are thinking of going with the Watts one. we tested out the transfer process and it uses a CSF file with CADmep exports. There are a few things you have to update in your database but not too much of a hassle. So far we are really impressed with Watts's plasma cutter and cant wait for it to arrive.
~Therapy is expensive.... But popping bubble wrap is cheap and effective~

Wow that sounds great. Thanks so much for the reply and the info. Would you mind giving me a quick run-through of the workflow (if you've gotten that far)? I.e. How the CSF file is exported/created and what you have to update in the database? Thanks again!

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
The Watt's control is PypeServer which can import PCF format files. CADmep can export those.

PCF is the same format developed by Integraph for SpoolGen & IsoGen.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
Not sure what the Vernon's can import. You can get PypeServer to retroft your control so it uses PyepServer.

At one time, the Vernon's ran off on a special config file that wouldn't be too hard to generate.

Offline DonWunder

The Vernon uses a PMP file that we make from the PCF export file. Its an easy format.
Don Wunderlich
The Hill Group

Offline ScottieM

• Premier Member
We bought a Vernon, wish we bought a Watts.
Buy a Watts.
Scott M.
The Dude Abides

Offline edsharp

i am currently using pypeserver on a watts machine via PCF export......

The PCF export has all the pipe, tol, and fishmouth information needed to cut pipe and it does it well. i am currently writing a lisp/script to add a bit more job information to the PCF file. there is native job info that can go through but i want a little more... pypeserver has the ability for am lable maker that can print lables as the pipe is being cut.. havent got there yet but its in the near future....

with Pype server there is an annual cost associated with it, but that pays for itself in 3 weeks... as well as the remote licence to load and nest the pipe cuts from an office and the opperator simply loads pipe, and verifies the cuts .

as i get things up and going i will post more information

Wow thanks so much for the info guys. Sounds like the Watts is the way to go. One more quick question: Does the hole information actually export if you just have an O-let graphically inserted on the pipe in CADmep? Or is that something you have to plug in later?

Offline edsharp

Pypeserver recognizes what an O-LET is... and correct if the O-LET is within the geographic space of the pipe it will put a hole... if you export the pipe only it will not add a hole... if you export O-LET and pipe it will add the hole... there is a whole lot of cool things to customize .... if you need more specific info you can PM me

That is amazing! Thanks so much for the info. That definitely sounds like the way to go.