Author Topic: Project Navigator Views and Levels  (Read 276 times)

Offline dopefishTopic starter

Project Navigator Views and Levels
« on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with Project Navigator Views and Levels? I have started attempting to use them and my team is in revolt. The first issue I am running into that that the view drawings seem to set whatever the lowest level included at 0'0"elevation. I am assuming that this is part of the sheet creation process. The idea being that one can pull in constructs and elements on a view and annotate from finished floor. What about risers though? I was toying with making risers on multiple levels but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Would it be better to draw each section of riser on the floor it's assigned to? One of my team is trying this but is reporting that without the next floor backgorund xrefed at the correct elevation that he can't draw it correctly. I typically draw the entire riser in an element so I can spool right out of the drawing and then attach that to the first floor. I have read that one can include things on multiple levels but I have yet to see that work correctly. Any experience/advice would be appreciated.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline chris4455

Re: Project Navigator Views and Levels
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2019, 08:24:56 PM »
You create levels and then assign the contructs to those levels.  You can annotate in either the construct or manually in the view since the constructs in the view will be an xref.  You can drag in other constructs that are assigned to different levels and that will xref them in to their assigned level.  Then you create the view the way you want it to display on the sheets and drag (which is a xref) in the view you want on the sheet.  It is a good drawing management tool for multiple people working on projects but a bit slower creating sheets.
MEP 2010 2.40.036/052 /64 bit/ Vista

Offline dopefishTopic starter

Re: Project Navigator Views and Levels
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2019, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I made some headway in this area. We needed a clearer definition of what was to be draw as in and element file, and what was to be drawn in a construct. constructs will xref other constructs at the level they are associated with in the project navigator. however when working in an element drawing xrefing in a construct always results in that xref coming in at 0 elevation. So I shift the bulk of the drawing back to the construct and am saving the elements for things like skids and equipment. Now we will attach the element to the construct and move the element into place on the construct. This way I can make an element template that will push our most commonly used views to detail and elevation sheets without the need to create them. I think this should actually make the sheet creation faster, as I can have preset view templates already placed on commonly used sheets.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination