Author Topic: Reporting The Same Item Twice Based on Sloped vs. Not Sloped  (Read 1240 times)

Offline ZTR88Topic starter

I have a spool report set up for sanitary drainage and vent prefabrication. The report works fine except for when I use the same fitting in two different orientations.

Example : Three Charlotte No.300 1/4 Bends included in the same report. Two of those 1/4 Bends are drawn horizontally with slope and the third 1/4 Bend is installed from the sloped horizontal turned down to a straight vertical riser.

The report numbers the two horizontal 1/4 Bends as Item No 1 with a Qty of 2 and the other 1/4 Bend turned down as Item No 5 with a Qty of 1.

Even though the items themselves are exactly the same, in the same section, and in the same service it still reports them separately. Running a SHOWMETHEDIFFS command on the items only shows differences in the Dim1 Inner Radius and Dim2 Angle which I assume come from the sloped portion of pipe.

Is there a way to merge or combine these items in the report and disregard the angle and radius of each? That way reporting one Item No 1 with a Qty of 3. I have attached a snapshot of the current result described above.
Zachary Reese
Virtual Design Coordinator / Database Manager
Douglas Orr Plumbing Inc.

Offline mdomer

Re: Reporting The Same Item Twice Based on Sloped vs. Not Sloped
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2019, 19:07:16 PM »
This has been a fallacy of fabrication since I can remember.

They added a function to renumber a while ago that allows you to ignore certain dissimilar characteristics, but I don't believe this covers orientation or slope.

Offline ZTR88Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2019, 19:32:55 PM »
Good to know. Thanks for the info. If there currently isn't a solution that's fine, I suppose we can just deal with it, but I didn't want to continue on reporting the fittings the wrong way if there was a right way in that situation.

Sounds like from what you said that is has nothing to do with the actual report sorting, but instead with the way fabrication numbers items in general.
Zachary Reese
Virtual Design Coordinator / Database Manager
Douglas Orr Plumbing Inc.

Offline Steadtler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2019, 00:51:42 AM »
I may be incorrect but it appears that it identifies them as different parts due to the different angles of the fittings.  The two horizontal fittings have a 90 degree angle while the horizontal to vertical fitting has an angle slightly larger than 90 degrees.

The fittings are called out the same by one routine in the program but the program's numbering routine identifies them as different because they are in fact different.

If you replaced one of the horizontal fittings with the third fitting (align / rotate) you would see that the piping doesn't  connect correctly.