Author Topic: Fabrication parts re-numbering  (Read 723 times)

Offline effimero89Topic starter

Fabrication parts re-numbering
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »
So we were using Applied Software's renumbering tool. They stopped that tool and now have an entire plug-in you have to purchase with a whole bunch of other stuff I don't want or need.

I did some dynamo stuff but everyone here loves the "Tag Identical Items" feature. Aside from developing and testing my own thing does anyone have any other options to renumber Fabrication duct in Revit?
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
Re: Fabrication parts re-numbering
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
VDC REVIT is available for 2019, & 2020. Here is some info on how it numbers. I have a version for 2018 internally. Let me know if that's what you need and I'll get it up with the rest of the downloads.

Offline craigjonnson

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
2018 Yes, please.

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2019, 10:28:38 PM »

Offline hoax23

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »
2021 please.

Offline Le Teace

• Hotchkiss Limited
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Could this do what you want?

ElementRenumbering by Juan Osbourne, free on the Autodesk App store
or
ReOrdering by DiRoots?
Revit 2019
AutoCAD 2019

Offline craigjonnson

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 02:40:05 AM »
JOTools will renumber using a unique number for each item. I'm not aware of any tool out there that will auto-number keeping the same number for similar items.

If you do use JOTools, ensure that all users tick the settings box "Allow Duplicates" otherwise you will find discover your item numbers renumbering.

DiRoots doesn't renumber Fabparts that well. Not in Sequence its all a bit random to be honest. They are looking into improvements.

Another option is A2K Tool Revtag. Its roughly $89 Australian Dollars but will automate hanger placement, split duct (Native Revit), renumber, automate tagging and updates parameter information such as inside radius.. I believe the units are driven through Revit to allow imperial/metric to work.

RevTAG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jp3uOXh4U
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:56:06 AM by craigjonnson »

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:56 AM »
Is there some videos we can see more about your application?
David Ronson
TDIndustries Application Engineer
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct

Offline craigjonnson

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:18:41 PM »
I tried the 2.2 Imperial and the addin still works, however, the hanger placement (fabrication parts) or duct split (Native Revit) require their dimensions to be in mm.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:02 AM »
Juan's Tool for numbering works good, I had spoke with him after his 1st version to add Fabrication Part Numbering and he did on next release.
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:41 AM »
I am curious if any of these tools have the option to give identical parts the same number? (I know Evolve and VDC Revit do.) Also, what do we mean by numbering in sequence? Like climbing a tree from bottom to top and numbering each branch's parts 1, 2, 3, 4...? I was approached by an Australian company with this request years ago and never really understood the value of it. Numbering interchangeable parts with unique numbers, or even sequential unique numbers seems comparatively useless? For one example, a quantity column in a report, schedule or spool with uniquely numbered parts doesn't work because the quantity will always be one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:46:16 AM by DotNet »

Offline craigjonnson

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »
To my knowledge NO, these tools do not give identical parts the same number and I believe it was myself that had this request to you. We send out batches of $10,000 parts and as a rule of thumb, 100 pieces of duct is near enough 10K so it really helps when your count is your Item number.
I completely understand the process of numbering identical parts the same, I've done it in the past and with all firms, this is our process.
FYI VDC is a great tool that I am often asked: "When is this available?" The guys loved the Beta version but that ran out in December. (Just downloaded 2019 and it's working). 2018 is still saying Beta has run out.)
Evolve recently visited us at the start of the year and impressed us with their tools too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:02:42 PM by craigjonnson »

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Craig thank you for the kind words and the info. By "years ago", I should have said it was more like ten, and believe it or not numbering in this way can be more difficult programmatically in many ways. I definitely see value if your last straight piece number is also the quantity. At the very least I do plan on releasing the VDC numbering tool as a free forever download on the app store. Now that I understand more, and now that we're numbering in Revit, I don't think that it would be too difficult to number in this way. The algorithm would need to be aware of which peices are connected to which, and that is something I've never considered for a numbering tool. I will keep this in mind for any future releases. Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:45:48 PM by DotNet »