Author Topic: Elbow Cannot Be Nested When It is Sent from CADmep  (Read 1020 times)

Offline jaysomlamTopic starter

Elbow Cannot Be Nested When It is Sent from CADmep
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 19:34:36 PM »
I have a problem with some square elbows and radius elbows that somehow cannot be nested.  Those elbows are sent from CADmep to CAMduct.  You can see from the attached picture that the piece# 140 somehow is not nested (and it doesn't have any square feet either).  I can get around with this problem by manually opening that elbow in CAMduct, and then click "Accept" (without changing anything else).  After doing this, CAMduct will be able to nest the elbow.

Seem like the key to workaround this problem is to hit the "Accept" button, this explains the reason why none of the elbows that we create using CAMduct has this problem.  Obviously to save an elbow in CAMduct, we have to hit the "Accept" button.  This probably explains the reason why this problem never occur with elbows created through CAMduct.  But this problem happens to elbows that we export from CADmep to CAMduct.  Our shop user has to use this trick to workaround the problem.

Attached please also find a MAJ file that has the elbow that is having this problem.

Please let me know if there is a way to fix this problem.  Then we don't need our shop user to use that trick to workaround the problem.

Jaysom

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: Elbow Cannot Be Nested When It is Sent from CADmep
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2019, 14:24:20 PM »
Every now and again, an ITM needs to be forced to redevelop. Not sure why it happens but if you look at the properties of each, you'll see the one that's not nesting does not have a developments tab.

To automate fixing this, you can toggle a setting that forces a redevelopment.  So from a script or other API automation, you could toggle a setting like DoubleWall, update the fitting, then toggle it back and update again and this forces the pattern to redevelop.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 15:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I will try this at the end of this week, and I will let you know how this goes.

Jaysom

Offline Don

• Premier Member
    • Pure Fabs
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 15:30:31 PM »
Another way to force a redevelopment in CAMduct is to select the items, right click - choose "Change Specification" and then Click "OK" on the current specification showing in the drop down list.
Note: If you have more than one specification in that job you will need to select each one separately.  :)
“There's someone in my head, but it's not me.”
― Pink Floyd

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2019, 16:56:03 PM »
Thanks Don for your suggestion.  I will try this next week (running a bit behind schedule).

Jaysom

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 20:24:26 PM »
I find that I can use Item.Update() on the piece that is missing development info to restore the missing info.  After doing this, the piece can be nested without any problem.

I still don't know why the piece is missing development info.  Hopefully we can find out what goes wrong in the future.  For now, I have created a script for the shop (with a singe Item.Update() in it).  In case they encounter a duct that is having this problem, they can run the script to repair the duct.

Thanks for the helpful info that forum members have shared.

Jaysom