Author Topic: Autodesk Building Design Suites No More  (Read 270 times)

Offline JAATopic starter

Autodesk Building Design Suites No More
« on: Apr 06, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »
It appears we are now forced into subscription moving beyond April 16. So to keep updates and upgrades for Revit and CAD we have to give up our perpetual licenses. Curious what others thoughts are with this?
Intel Core i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM
Nvidia QUADRO M4000 8GB
Building Design Suite Premium 2020, CADmep & CAMduct 2020

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
Re: Autodesk Building Design Suites No More
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:51:01 PM »
Stopped renewing at 2018.  Still have AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, and Fabrication though.  Told me then that they wanted to increase my yearly cost by 10% every year.  Said no thank you.

Keep seeing ads on Linkedin for Bently.  Wonder if there is a package like Fabrication.
Ken Taylor - (Searching for a career)
Have you seen any good youtube videos <--- lately? ;)
AutoCAD MEP V16, Fabrication 2016/17/18...Dell Precision 7710 i7-2.70 GHz/32 GB RAM

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »
It's a crappy deal but unfortunately the time to act was 3 years ago when they first started offering discounts to switch.

Our subscriptions we converted 3 years ago are significantly discounted and will continue to be so until 2028. Perpetual licenses that were converted to subscription are limited to a 5% increase every other year until 2028.

Autodesk is in control when it comes to licensing. You can't avoid their actions, only take advantage of what discounts and options they offer when they offer them.

That's why when they rolled out the subscription deals I was not a fan but did it anyway. as the alternative is worse.

Their next trick is eliminating Multi-User licenses (network licenses) which I explain here...
https://www.darrenjyoung.com/2020/03/17/update-autodesk-multi-user-licensing-the-end-is-near/

They've also been slowly deactivating installs where you installed and activated via serial number and forcing your to licensing via user accounts. Nobody's talking about that either but it's happening as we speak.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2020, 02:15:14 PM »
It's a crappy deal but unfortunately the time to act was 3 years ago when they first started offering discounts to switch.
True but I wasn't using it then and didn't want to pay thousands a year just because

They've also been slowly deactivating installs where you installed and activated via serial number and forcing your to licensing via user accounts. Nobody's talking about that either but it's happening as we speak.
Are you saying that my serial numbers may not work if I have to reinstall on a new computer?  I hope this isn't true.
Ken Taylor - (Searching for a career)
Have you seen any good youtube videos <--- lately? ;)
AutoCAD MEP V16, Fabrication 2016/17/18...Dell Precision 7710 i7-2.70 GHz/32 GB RAM

Offline mdomer

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
So the Big Guys are pinching the Lil' Guys? Get out of here!

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • Hermancon Company LLP
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
Are you saying that my serial numbers may not work if I have to reinstall on a new computer?  I hope this isn't true.

At some point, this will be the case.

In August 2019, Autodesk stopped activating 2010 and earlier. In March of this year, they stopped activating 2011....

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/previous-version-support-change.html

And more data...
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Why-can-t-I-activate-a-previous-release-of-AutoCAD-software.html

So, eventually your perpetual will stop. May take a while but it won't be allowed to activate forever. And subscription expires every year unless you renew.