Author Topic: Lay Length Method Produce Design Line Fitting-to-Fitting Configuration  (Read 1949 times)

Offline SteadtlerTopic starter

A simple method using fitting lay-lengths for adding new branches to existing Design Lines. Results in a fitting-to-fitting configuration when Fill In 3D is used.

Dimensions assembled using an Excel spreadsheet with required user inputs such as fitting type, main size, branch size and which ends joined.

Link to short video:

https://youtu.be/C8WGbpsnRfs

Offline dopefish

Am I talking out of turn here?

"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

Offline SSchmitt85

That is how i have done this for years.
~Therapy is expensive.... But popping bubble wrap is cheap and effective~

Offline edsharp

same as dopefish ...hold the shift button and you have access to the fitting nodes

Offline dopefish

OK. Yeah I didn't even get into using point filters or LISP routines to stretch in one direction. That GIF was about 4 times longer than what it would usually take. I made a point of breaking my guys out of pulling out their fitting books all the time.
"And the wood header is still 4  3/4" on top of the top of the double top plate." . . . Random VDC Coodinator

I love coordination

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing - some methods work better than others in certain situations.
I made a second video on the topic - this one showing the compete process for a configuration having multiple F2Fs.

No LISP, no Point Filters, and no fitting books (at least not directly... still had to enter the information once into the spreadsheet). I started from a clean drawing and ended up with a sloped system having a vertical riser. Fill In 3D was used only once at the end.

Note that with this method, sizes do not have to be known until converting to Design Line.

I would be interested in the process other would use to create the same configuration.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/MYFYKqcWSEA

Here is the link to a rework of the previous video now with audio and larger viewing format: https://youtu.be/hj9nLremDdM

Previous responses were good (thank you) but only dealt with situations where there was sufficient room to place then stretch/move fittings into position. 

Sloped configurations with multiple fittings-to-fittings (and no room to place then stretch/move) are common and necessary when trying to reduce the number of joints/labor/costs. I am  interested sloped configurations like the one shown in the video - what methods others would use.