Author Topic: Bulk Service Creation  (Read 2734 times)

Offline effimero89Topic starter

Bulk Service Creation
« on: Jul 30, 2020, 18:17:28 PM »
So at request we have to divide our services up a lot.

Our next project requires over 100 just for duct work alone. Instead of creating a new service over and over again can I just run a script or something to create them all at once?

The only thing that I change on here are Service Name, Service Specification, and Service Abbreviation. Everything else stays the same
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
Re: Bulk Service Creation
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2020, 22:42:17 PM »
Can I ask why?  There may be a better way to do it because that is a lot of work.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2020, 23:33:22 PM »
You're probably right.

But each system is labeled according to system type i.e. supply, return, pressure class number i.e. 2, 3, 4. Then AHU number.

so an example would be AHU-01

Supply 2" AHU-01
Supply 4" AHU-01
Supply 6" AHU-01
Return 2" AHU-01
Return 3" AHU-01
Return 4" AHU-01

etc etc

And that's just one AHU. This current job will have 11. I like this method because this information carries over to the tags. Every tag on a piece of duct work will tell you what unit its suppose to go to. And requires no other setup up other than making the Service name accordingly.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2020, 00:31:18 AM »
I see what you are doing, just a lot to manage.  I typically renumber putting the eqpt # as a prefix.
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2020, 14:32:39 PM »
You put the prefix of the ahu or equipment in the item number spot?
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2020, 14:53:23 PM »
Yes.  As an example, for VAV1-1, I would do something like start with V1.1-1 then let it sequence from there.  You can also use the add option in the renumber routine to select more than one object with a window. 

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2020, 18:02:13 PM »
Short of using the .Net API, not a lot of shortcuts there. There's a free tool that gives you fabrication API access from Lisp (not tested it) that would work in Acad for this if you're Lisp familiar.

Our Primary DB Admin here uses some fancy gaming keyboard that allows you to record keyboard macros. He's used that for things like this if you can do a lot of it via keyboard...like oval effective diameters.

A macro that handled "Most" of the work and allowed you to just type the AHU numbers for the suffix would speed it up.

You could also likely use a tool like AutoHotkey or WinBatch which allow you to automate dialogs. It'll take a bit to build but once done, it'll be handy.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2020, 13:53:11 PM »
Thanks Darren. Do you mean the fabrication api or the autocad api? I'm guessing autocad since you're mentioning LISP and I have no experience with that specifically. Recording the keyboard might actually be the best thing for this. Thanks!
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2020, 14:24:40 PM »
This will allow you to call the Fabrication API from Lisp inside AutoCAD.  Not tested myself.

https://houseofbim.com/tag/fabrication-api/