Author Topic: Centre Of Gravity - What do you use for Revit or Externally  (Read 317 times)

Offline craigjonnsonTopic starter

G'day,

One of the great tools i miss from CADmep and still do use to this day is the COG Command. I end up rebuilding assemblies in CADmep as the steel contains all the weights etc. Which we all know the CID's are not compatible within Revit.

Does anyone else here have to provide centre of gravity (Weight) and if so, what do you use to get the information for say pipe modules etc?

Offline DotNet

• MICLOGIC
Re: Centre Of Gravity - What do you use for Revit or Externally
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:14:54 AM »
G'day,

One of the great tools i miss from CADmep and still do use to this day is the COG Command. I end up rebuilding assemblies in CADmep as the steel contains all the weights etc. Which we all know the CID's are not compatible within Revit.

Does anyone else here have to provide centre of gravity (Weight) and if so, what do you use to get the information for say pipe modules etc?

VMR does point load estimation (this is not a free feature), which is arguably more accurate than a center of mass estimation depending on the goal we wish to achieve with these numbers. Fundamentally we’ll need an addin that exposes volume, as we cannot calculate total wet weight without it. We’ll also need an addin that exposes center line length for anything that isn’t a straight, like tees and elbows, which is not exposed otherwise and is required to estimate volume to begin with. Furthermore, if we want to get at center of mass, we'll need a cloud of point loads. Please see Virtual Mechanical Point Load Example on YouTube.