Author Topic: Hangers on Pipe Running Perpendicular to Joists  (Read 2267 times)

Offline ZTR88Topic starter

Hangers on Pipe Running Perpendicular to Joists
« on: Aug 16, 2021, 15:25:04 PM »
What is the best way to place hangers on a designline and have them manually adjusted to the distance between bar joists rather than using the hanger spec? Every attempt I have made ends in the hanger spec taking over every time we refresh the designline and the hangers having to be manually adjusted or the extra hangers being deleted. Takeoff > Hanger lets me place the hangers on the designline, but the nodes act strange and when refreshed the old hangers driven by the hanger spec still show up and have to be deleted.

I want to place hangers manually on one section of the designline and have them remain in the specific position I place them even after I refresh the designline... Is this possible?
Zachary Reese
Virtual Design Coordinator / Database Manager
Douglas Orr Plumbing Inc.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
Re: Hangers on Pipe Running Perpendicular to Joists
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2021, 17:50:10 PM »
Once I initially put the pipe in using designline, I delete it.  I don't use designline after that because of the hanger issue and the having to reannotate stuff.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline mdomer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2021, 19:18:05 PM »
Agree w/ Ken. I run circles around detailers trying to do everything in design line and/or hanger command.

Offline Steadtler

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »
One work around might be as follows:

Draw the Design Line and use Fill in 3D to place the hangers.

Adjust the hangers as needed. If all of the hangers for the entire Design Line are now where you want them, lock the hanger layer and EXCLUDE hangers (via the tab) from any future Fill in 3D for that particular Design Line. Failure to  EXCLUDE will result a new copy made for each Fill in 3D performed - see note below.

If you only want to save hangers for a particular area of the Design Line, move those hangers to a new layer and lock that layer. This will fix the sizes, types, and locations of the hangers but you won't  need to EXCLUDE hangers.

When the final Fill in 3D has been made, you will need to erase any content placed in the particular area you do not want or need - this will be easy if you have a different color for the contents of the locked layer.

Note that when the Fill in 3D or the Erase 3D Items command is used with a contents layer locked, the contents on that layer are no longer associated with the Design Line's current Fill in 3D so they must be manually selected and processed. Take care that new content is not placed directly over existing content resulting in inaccurate quantities.

Offline ZTR88Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2021, 13:00:31 PM »
Once I initially put the pipe in using designline, I delete it.  I don't use designline after that because of the hanger issue and the having to reannotate stuff.

So what's the workflow like for you in this case if a change needs to be made in coordination? Do you utilize REVDESIGN to make the change and then repeat the process of deleting the design line?
Zachary Reese
Virtual Design Coordinator / Database Manager
Douglas Orr Plumbing Inc.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2021, 19:14:11 PM »
So what's the workflow like for you in this case if a change needs to be made in coordination? Do you utilize REVDESIGN to make the change and then repeat the process of deleting the design line?

I typically don't use D/L when initially modeling.  We don't have it properly setup here.  Since we are switching to Revit, I haven't put any time into it.  Since I have several CAD jobs left, I will use Revdesign when changing pipe sizes.  I have had an issue where it will fill in with the wrong size but haven't figured it out yet.  I have a lot of rework to do bu no time currently (like most right now).
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.