Author Topic: ** WARNING ** (MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview)  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Darren YoungTopic starter

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Autodesk MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview

You may have noticed the following update show up in your Autodesk Desktop App as an update.

Highly recommend you DO NOT USE. If you do, do NOT upload your data. And DO NOT use in a production setting.

There's a major flaw in their implementation/design methodology that puts you at risk.

Additionally, there's a LOT that's missing that'll cause you nothing but heartache should you interpret their guidance that "Tech Preview applications are considered complete and ready for use..." as meaning it's ok to use in a production setting.

I'll post a full review of the flaws, risks and holes in this tool in the next couple days. I simply don't have time tonight to give it the justice it deserves in a thoughtful manner that helps you make an informed decision. Just know that this is yet another very public example of the low-resolution thinking that seems to be intrenched in _some_ of the product teams within Autodesk.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2022, 04:44:40 AM by Darren Young »

Offline lsm_drafter

Re: ** WARNING ** (MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2022, 11:22:27 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Darren. On top of things again, as usual, serving as the resident crash test dummy!  :o  ;D
You've got to eat them before they eat you!
CADmep 2017.0.0.F (26), AutoCAD 2017 x64
Windows 10 x64 on 256gb SSD, Corei7-7700K 4.2ghz 32gb RAM
8GB 256bit NVidia GeForce GTX1070, Dual 24" Monitors

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2022, 11:35:58 AM »
Saw the announcement of this software on LinkedIn yesterday.  First thing I thought was there is no way I would be getting in line to implement that.  I will give them some time.

Thanks Darren for your diligence.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »
As always Darren you are an invaluable source to this community.

Thank you for all that you do to benefit other users.
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »
I know the stove is hot, but I want to touch it anyway. :D

However, I keep getting an "Install Failed" error, yesterday and today.

Has anyone else successfully installed this hot potato?
Thomas N Fuller II

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2022, 14:26:19 PM »
I know the stove is hot, but I want to touch it anyway. :D

However, I keep getting an "Install Failed" error, yesterday and today.

Has anyone else successfully installed this hot potato?

I've had it NOT install far more than install.

PS: They knew of the Install issue. I reported this weeks before public release. They released it anyway.

Offline Gerin

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2022, 15:32:44 PM »
We will be paid since we are Beta testers of a product they plan on making money on right?..... ???

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2022, 17:24:59 PM »
As Darren has stated. This is not ready for primetime so be weary.
It shows promise and has for awhile, but there is still A LOT that needs to be implemented and/or modified to make it usable as a replacement to the current ways of doing things.

Use it as a learning tool into the future of how things will be managed, but not as a production tool IMO.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline m.schmid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2022, 19:03:10 PM »
Darren, thank you for being one of the first to post about Fabrication Data Manager – Tech Preview.

We always welcome feedback, including things we are getting right, as well as constructive critique.  We are grateful for your regular contributions towards our fabrication development in Revit, CAD/CAM/EST, and Fabrication Data Manager.   

As such, we are surprised about the concerns related to security and privacy risks which we take very seriously, and are sorry to hear that you feel the way you do.  We look forward to hearing your concerns and will do our best to respond.

In the meantime we would like to clarify, as stated in the blog post (https://blogs.autodesk.com/revit/2022/03/23/mep-fabrication-data-manager-tech-preview/), this is a beta.  The Terms of Use (https://www.autodesk.com/company/terms-of-use/en/general-terms#versions) further goes on to state that beta / pre-release versions, among other limitations, are for non-commercial evaluation.  Even so, we endeavor to release such previews at the highest quality possible.

The Tech Preview has been launched to open our in-progress development publicly, to solicit input and feedback from more companies and individuals as we continue to flesh out the capabilities.   

As we continue with development in the areas indicated in the blog post and the Revit Public Roadmap (https://trello.com/c/4x3vhnLC/79-mep-fabrication-database-management-fdm-on-forge), we expect to stage additional functionality through the Preview Release process before it graduates to Technical Preview.  To all our customers exploring this Tech Preview, and interested in being more closely involved in those next stages, please reach out to us at revit.preview.access@autodesk.com and let us know specifically about your interest in Fabrication Data Manager. 

Offline m.schmid

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2022, 19:11:19 PM »
Mentioned above are issues related to the installer.  Unfortunately, this seems to be machine specific, and we have been unable to confirm the root cause. 

To address the issue, what we have found works is:

After the above, attempt the installation again.  You may get a message 'Unable to install, a required install component is missing or corrupted Error 3051".  This message has a link to install the missing component (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/A-required-install-component-is-missing-or-corrupted.html)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2022, 12:47:58 PM by m.schmid »

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2022, 19:28:39 PM »
Martin's instructions proved successful for installation on my machine.
Thomas N Fuller II

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:56:41 AM »
More full review here...

Including much easier install instructions when it fails. 

https://www.darrenjyoung.com/2022/03/27/review-warning-mep-fabrication-data-manager-sync-technical-preview/

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2022, 12:34:26 PM »
More full review here...

An excellent and thorough review Darren.
Let's hope Autodesk take heed and start listening more to the most important people - the end users who are paying for these products.
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2022, 13:55:51 PM »
Thank you Darren for the review.

I have attempted and failed at various uploads.

For those with networked configurations (i.e. all the goods stored somewhere away from the local MAP.ini file...) how in the heck does this work?

It would seem that FDM (I'm gonna think KMFDM from here on) requires a "typical" configuration arrangement where C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 20XX includes your entire fabrication dataset, not just the basic few files. I've always operated with my "dataset" on the network and my C drive only needed those few *.ini files.

What exactly are we supposed to upload to use this tool as intended?

I'm discussing this to help uncover all those additional concerns that may not be readily apparent.

Thanks again,
Tom
Thomas N Fuller II

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2022, 17:47:20 PM »
Tom,

If you run the Fabrication Migration tool on a Configuration, it _should_ fit it to the point it'll let your configurations upload.

The upload is a picky beast.