Author Topic: ** WARNING ** (MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview)  (Read 7640 times)

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
Re: ** WARNING ** (MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview)
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »
The more I see about all this Revit Stuff the more I also see what a Royal Pain in the ass just to draw duct/Pipe. One need this program for that another program for this! Good God! LOL
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline Darren YoungTopic starter

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2022, 20:18:22 PM »
The more I see about all this Revit Stuff the more I also see what a Royal Pain in the ass just to draw duct/Pipe. One need this program for that another program for this! Good God! LOL

I'm increasingly coming to realize Autodesk's 'Industrialized Construction' strategy is based on destroying MEP Contracting in an effort to force Productization.

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2022, 21:55:54 PM »
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct - GTP Stratus

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2022, 23:02:54 PM »
I'd like to apologize to FDM and the ACADemy. I was out of line. 
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2022, 02:46:28 AM by Darren Young »

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2022, 12:21:07 PM »
Instead of just the "Like" button we need to add laughing and sad. haha.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline Jona

« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2022, 17:07:36 PM »
I wish this wouldn't show up on the Autodesk Desktop App as an update. I had no idea what this was and people were asking me about it, or telling me the ''update'' failed - which I now feel is a good thing after reading the review. Now time to send out a mass email.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2022, 17:56:28 PM »
I wish this wouldn't show up on the Autodesk Desktop App as an update. I had no idea what this was and people were asking me about it, or telling me the ''update'' failed - which I now feel is a good thing after reading the review. Now time to send out a mass email.
Great point.  Just saw this and sent out an email to our department.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline m.schmid

« Reply #22 on: Apr 14, 2022, 17:29:33 PM »
Thank you Darren for the review.

I have attempted and failed at various uploads.

For those with networked configurations (i.e. all the goods stored somewhere away from the local MAP.ini file...) how in the heck does this work?

It would seem that FDM (I'm gonna think KMFDM from here on) requires a "typical" configuration arrangement where C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 20XX includes your entire fabrication dataset, not just the basic few files. I've always operated with my "dataset" on the network and my C drive only needed those few *.ini files.

What exactly are we supposed to upload to use this tool as intended?

I'm discussing this to help uncover all those additional concerns that may not be readily apparent.

Thanks again,
Tom

Hi Tom, were you able to successfully get a configuration into FDM?

It looks as though since you got the processing error, you got over the hump of getting the config into a expected/uploadable state... but we wanted to make sure.

Here's a few tips if you're still having problems.

Use the migration tool... assuming using a config with relatively recent product (e.g., 2017 or later), use the migration tool (see https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fabrication-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/ENU/Fabrication-UsersGuide/files/GUID-FFF8D231-328D-4248-9086-383B3D6FD958-htm.html).  The Import Fabrication Configuration option should copy and consolidate files into an expected state... the resulting folder should be in a state expected for the upload process to complete successfully.

With regard to the Processing Error... There has been a update to the processing backend that may address the processing error you were running into.

If you are still having issues, please contact us through the feedback option in Fabrication Data Manager > Help menu > Provide Feedback link.

Offline biorpg

« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2022, 18:00:10 PM »
Autodesk MEP Fabrication Data Manager - Technical Preview

You may have noticed the following update show up in your Autodesk Desktop App as an update.

Highly recommend you DO NOT USE. If you do, do NOT upload your data. And DO NOT use in a production setting.

There's a major flaw in their implementation/design methodology that puts you at risk.

Additionally, there's a LOT that's missing that'll cause you nothing but heartache should you interpret their guidance that "Tech Preview applications are considered complete and ready for use..." as meaning it's ok to use in a production setting.

I'll post a full review of the flaws, risks and holes in this tool in the next couple days. I simply don't have time tonight to give it the justice it deserves in a thoughtful manner that helps you make an informed decision. Just know that this is yet another very public example of the low-resolution thinking that seems to be intrenched in _some_ of the product teams within Autodesk.

I'm note sure which is more on-the-nose. This, or Microsoft's flavor of industry specific knowledge farming and redistribution.

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2022, 21:42:33 PM »
I'm loving this whole thread. We would like product updates for the Fabrication side of Revit so we can "detail" in peace.
Dave

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2022, 22:39:04 PM »
I asked about FDM while at AU....

Me: "When's FDM going to be done?"
Adsk: "Who's to say it's ever going to be done. It may just keep evolving. "

Fair point. So I rephrased....

Me: "When's FDM going to 'evolve' enough that MEP Contractors willingly adopt it?'
Adsk: "Who's to say it's for that type of customer?"

Pretty much all you need to know.

If you're an A/E firm using Plant3d, that's what they're building FDM for....to get you into Revit. As long as you don't have to build from it, you're good as long as you transact with your fabricator/constructor using PDF's.   You're fabricator certainly can't use their own Database.

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2022, 17:29:16 PM »
I asked about FDM while at AU....

Me: "When's FDM going to be done?"
Adsk: "Who's to say it's ever going to be done. It may just keep evolving. "

Fair point. So I rephrased....

Me: "When's FDM going to 'evolve' enough that MEP Contractors willingly adopt it?'
Adsk: "Who's to say it's for that type of customer?"

Pretty much all you need to know.

If you're an A/E firm using Plant3d, that's what they're building FDM for....to get you into Revit. As long as you don't have to build from it, you're good as long as you transact with your fabricator/constructor using PDF's.   You're fabricator certainly can't use their own Database.

Sounds like a money grab to me.. They got us by the balls.
Dave

Offline jasin333

« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2023, 12:31:22 PM »
I'm loving this whole thread. We would like product updates for the Fabrication side of Revit so we can "detail" in peace.

I've been here a lot fewer years than most of you, but even in my short time, I've come to realize the path forward is a dead end.

For a company that is taking in billions a year to produce such mediocre product updates (MEP/Fabrication) is simply depressing.

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2023, 18:04:02 PM »
Read Autodesk's financial statements...

For every $1.00 you spend, only $0.10 (10%) goes to developing their products and services.

Now tell me that sounds like a firm dedicated to "transforming" our industry.

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #29 on: Apr 05, 2023, 15:07:06 PM »
Read Autodesk's financial statements...

For every $1.00 you spend, only $0.10 (10%) goes to developing their products and services.

Now tell me that sounds like a firm dedicated to "transforming" our industry.
:o :o :o    :-X :-X :-X    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.