Author Topic: Fabrication hanger setup for Revit  (Read 2178 times)

Offline bitterfitterTopic starter

Fabrication hanger setup for Revit
« on: Apr 25, 2022, 19:31:53 PM »
My understanding is that to control the rod diameter on a trapeze hanger in Revit, I have to use the Ancillary kit?  I can't see how else I would upsize the rod diameters if needed.  That being said, how are you folks on here setting up your trapeze hangers?  Do you just make one ITM called RECTANGULAR BEARER and then choose the material and rod diameter by using a product list by size in the ITM?  I have been doing this way differently in Fabrication all this time.  I use different ITMs for each material and different support specs for each rod size.  Worked pretty well I thought; pick your trapeze and place on the pipe.  It would default to the most common diameter rod size.  You could then change the support spec to change the rod size if needed.
If we have to use ancillary kits to change the rod size and material, this could get ugly pretty fast I think.
Can you folks share how you setup and control your trapeze materials and rod sizes in Revit??  Please :D
"If you think education is expensive, you should see what ignorance costs you"

Offline rtlflat

Re: Fabrication hanger setup for Revit
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 22:14:58 PM »
For trapeze in Revit, we are using support specs to drive rod size and standard washer and nut counts. Separate ITMs for 1/2", 3/8", and 5/8" rods, and another using gripple cables.

No product list necessary for trapeze. just set options to Pipework = No and Oversized = Yes and Use Support Settings = Yes.

Support specs should include:
Ancillary Materials: Strut (Apply to Bearer)
Support Rods: quantity 1 (Revit automatically doubles for 2 rod supports like trapeze)
Fixings: Hex nuts (quantities for single rod)
Clips: Square and/or flat washers (quantities for single rod)

Apply the support spec to the ITM properties (See attached image)

The ancillary kits are used for overriding rod size, changing nut/bolt counts and sizes, and adding various inserts (bluebangers, beam attachments, etc). Don't define the ancillary material for the strut bearer in the kits. That is defined in the support specs and the kits override rods only.

Offline bitterfitterTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 14:23:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing how you are setting these up.  So it looks like you are setting everything up in the support spec itself except for the upper attachments which you are doing in ancillary kits.  I got that.  Now I have to ask if you are using separate itm's for each rod size, how do you pick your different bearers?  Do you have different itm's for each bearer type/size and per rod size?
Say I want to draw a trapeze with 1 5/8" strut with 1/2" rods; then I pick that button for that itm.  If I want a 2 1/2" x 1/4" angle trapeze with 5/8" rods; is that a separate button also?
"If you think education is expensive, you should see what ignorance costs you"

Offline rtlflat

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 15:12:40 PM »
We default to 1/2" rod for strut trapeze and just have additional ITMs for 3/8" and 5/8" rods.

We don't use ITMs for angle or box tube trapeze anymore because we weld strut to the sides of angle or box tube bearer so size would not be accurate. We use parametric families with nested components for these types of trapeze.

Are you opposed to setting up separate ITMs for bearer material or rod size? We save the ITMs in different folders based on rod size, which allows us to have the same ITM names regardless of rod size. Much cleaner then having "1_2 Rod" or "3_8 Rod" or similar at the end of each ITM name. Then you can either have separate buttons for each, or stack all rod sizes into a button for each bearer type. Separate buttons may be best if you are using an addin for hanger population though.