Author Topic: Access to custom data  (Read 394 times)

Offline bitterfitterTopic starter

Access to custom data
« on: May 18, 2022, 19:03:16 PM »
I have snooped a few items in Revit and do not see where I can find any custom data fields. 
Are either the Item Custom Data fields or the Job Custom Data fields accessible using Dynamo?
"If you think education is expensive, you should see what ignorance costs you"

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
Re: Access to custom data
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 21:47:57 PM »
I have snooped a few items in Revit and do not see where I can find any custom data fields. 
Are either the Item Custom Data fields or the Job Custom Data fields accessible using Dynamo?
Custom Data is available in API, not sure if anyone has made a Dynamo node for it, but theoretically it could be accessible in Dynamo. Job Custom Data is not available.
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 14:28:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  That is kinda what I figured.  I was hoping to write project info from Revit into custom data somewhere that I could retrieve to fill in the header info in the Fab reports since the Job Custom Data is not available.  I wonder if I enter it into Dynamo like we do in Fabrication and write it to custom data fields, if I can then apply that into the header some how?  Unless the header only fills from Job Custom Data, then I would have to try something else.

Offline craigjonnson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:32 AM »
The Fabrication Bolognese has built nodes for read / writing to Custom data fields.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 19:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I am going to give it a shot.  I seem to be getting a NULL returned when I run this node.  I must be overlooking something easy.  Index number is a string and the data list and elements list are of equal length.  Seems like a no brainer...