Author Topic: AutoCAD vs Revit  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Gerin

Re: AutoCAD vs Revit
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2020, 15:42:04 PM »
Went from East Coast Cad straight to Fabrication in Revit.

Revit works great if you have someone that knows Revit before hand and understands how to work within it.

Spooling pipe systems in Revit is simple with some basic addins (Victaulic Tools - which also has some some other usefull tools for the duct side such as Any Connect Tool)

Releasing duct to our shop is about the only part of  Fabrication in Revit that needs some serious work.  ECC and Fab in ACAD both work this portion just fine however when in Revit you can do it but you need to be rather careful about how you go about the process.

The other major plus for Revit is that I can work from any place in the world with an Internet Connection using BIM 360.  BIM 360 was made for Revit.

The only reason I still use ACAD at all is to create 2D details for instance a soffit with linear detail.  Revit is not made for good 2D details.... however ACAD was.

Offline bminickw

• Modern Piping, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2020, 00:27:38 AM »
What are companies doing to release duct to their shops? Still ultimately using CAMduct to get there? Is that the only option with Fabrication Parts in Revit?
Brandon Minick / Modern Piping, Inc. / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Building Design Suite Ultimate 2017 / Autodesk Fabrication CADmep 2017

Offline davidratx

• Premier Member
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2020, 02:03:04 AM »
What are companies doing to release duct to their shops? Still ultimately using CAMduct to get there? Is that the only option with Fabrication Parts in Revit?
CAMduct is a must
David Ronson
TDIndustries Director of Construction Technologies
Windows 10 - Revit - AutoCAD - CADmep - ESTmep - CAMduct - GTP Stratus

Offline jcravens

• http://www.leecompany.com
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2020, 21:25:45 PM »
We have completely switched in the Design Build group and doing our first project in VCS group with Revit. So far so good. Alot of setup to get in place. But on the modeling side is so much easier in my opinion and I have been using CAD Fabrication since 2008 when it was MAP. Do go fully into Revit we did purchase eVolve to bridge the gap.
Josh Cravens
Database / Software Configuration Manager
jcravens@leecompany.com
Franklin, TN 37067

Offline effimero89

« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2020, 19:46:44 PM »
We couldn't go back to autoCAD even if we wanted. Engineering firms are only using revit.
CAMduct 2018/2019
Fabrication API
Revit 2017/2018/2019

Offline Axl

« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2020, 16:09:50 PM »
My department uses 100% Revit
CADmep DB Manager
Content Manager
Scripting

Offline Tstright

• Premier Member
    • United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2020, 15:24:16 PM »
The other major plus for Revit is that I can work from any place in the world with an Internet Connection using BIM 360.  BIM 360 was made for Revit.

You can do the same with Fabrication....

We are in the process of making the switch to Revit.
"Only the Skilled Survive"

Offline dbanker

« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2022, 20:17:15 PM »
Switching everyone over to Revit. Early feedback is Revit is still lacking for fabrication. Bought eVolve MEP to fill in the gaps but still has holes that need to be filled. I'm a Revit lover but for fab it's still lacking...
Doug Banker
BIM/IT Manager
(CADmep, ESTmep, CAMduct, Revit, Navisworks, BIM 360)

Offline APD-DB

• Advanced Piping Design
« Reply #23 on: Jun 15, 2022, 12:56:43 PM »
Pros of Revit
-project setup
-project organization
-project documentation
-collaboration
-collaboration online $$

Cons
-hanger placement is lacking without programming skills or 3rd party software $$
-spooling is really slow without 3rd party software.  $$

After spooling several projects in Revit we are considering taking our spooling back to autocad due to slow spool creation times.  Even with evolve we can produce faster more efficient spools in autocad.   One example is when spooling in autocad I can use (1) iso view to dim and tag rather than 1-3 ortho views and a iso.  The item number tags in Revit are slow to move and clean up.  We have consistently produced cast iron spools in 1-2 minutes a spool in autocad but in Revit I would say we are about 5-7 minutes.

My opinion after using Revit after several years, Revit is good at what it was created to do(all my pros listed above).

Autodesk should rather than rely on 3rd party softwares to bridge the gap.  Develop conductivity between fabrication Revit models and autocad.  I think the autodesk software “advanced steel” has this type of conductivity(still researching this).
Is your computer on?

Advanced Piping Design Inc.
Fernley, Nevada