Author Topic: Twisted elbows and holes for grease duct  (Read 14183 times)

Offline efehrTopic starter

Twisted elbows and holes for grease duct
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 23:47:02 PM »
I see the twist elbow for grease duct was brought up in this thread. We draw a flat elbow which is then correct by our shop. Is there any new news on the twist elbow?
I would also like to be able to rotate the holes on straight to level out the taps on grease duct. Is there a way to do that now?

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:16:55 AM »
All this can be done now.A twisted elbow would be nice and save the fittings before and aft.For the branch takeoffs you really don't want the holes rotated as it creates a dam.Not that bad but still a dam.Use the twisted transition for the tap.A little tricky at first ,but once you get the first one it's simple
The SoCAL (VERY OLDMAN NOW) Kid! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE  HOLIDAYS BOB  ::) ::)  
WIN 10 O.S
Revit/Fabrication 2022/BDSU 2022
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 15:24:31 PM »
Two twist fittings on either side of a flat ell. I bet you could also do it with one twisted + angled transition. A band-aid fix. My band-aid fix is to adjust a flat ell in PM2000 and listen to the old shop guys say, "Do you want me to lay that out for you?"
I don't understand the dam you refer to. A hole for a tap off the side of a main pitching at 1/4" per foot should be level. The tap and duct from the hole perpendicular to the main will pitch towards or away from the main. If a 24" hole is cut parallel with the main you will have a 1/2" of twist in the tap. I would prefer to use the Transition Angled fitting for my tap and keep my hangers level. But maybe that's just me.

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 17:01:38 PM »
Not a twisted fitting  before and aft.Just cid 15.All's you want is to have it perpendicalar to the floor where the drop check starts and ends.The drop check will take care of the slope as it turns.The twisted transition will take the twist out of the main branch slope and set the slope at 1/4 per/ft .all done with the one fitting.No band aid at all.No intervention with the old shop guy.;)
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 17:31:49 PM »
bp - I still don't understand your fix here. CID 15 before on the inlet of an ell will keep the outlet from being twisted. A drop cheek will let you keep pitch around the ell but the outlet will be square to the world. So a second CID 15 will be needed to continue your pitch. This old shop guy still needs clarification but is continuing with a CID 151 on a flat ell band-aid.

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 17:41:23 PM »
Your getting it now.On the second cid 15 which is just a copy of the first apply a botton script and away you go.

actually the first cid 15 (slope end)is the one i have the button script applied to.the second is normal.You'll have to play with that depending on how you configured that pattern.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 21:38:15 PM »
Quote from: bparrell
all done with the one fitting.No band aid at all.
Nope. I'm not getting it. Cid 15 to cid 320 to cid 15 is three fittings. At 24"x12" you are adding 12' of connector welding that wouldn't be need with one correct elbow. I don't care how fast you can draw it. Adding fittings because you don't have the correct one to start with is a band aid not a solution. I still wish Andy could give me a twist elbow like the one I could make with a pair of dividers.

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 22:08:17 PM »
Now now you've taken one part of my statement and applied it to straightening out the turn.What you cut out was for a branch take off.You were going to have an elbow any ways.2 fitting as i see it.If you call cid 15 a fitting(you have two welds per each)as many as a joint.Really, if set up it's a joint with a miter.We make that equal to a joint or slightly under.Hope your quick with your dividers and unishear.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2008, 00:04:56 AM »
If it dosen't come off the coil line I call it a fitting. One ell = one fitting. How do you see that as 2 fitting? Cut out was for a branch??? Am I wrong to expect PM2000 to make a fitting I can lay out? This is the wish list fourm.

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »
This picture gives you a good idea of what we do for grease duct, I believe the dam Bob was talking about would have been where our tap comes off of the main branch if the tap was not a twist fitting. I have twisted our tap so that the branching duct is now plumb to the floor, your hangers can be the same length.

And after the dropping elbow I have also add the twisting angle transition, this fitting is quite tricky to use cause I have a 2deg angle on the end against the elbow to continiue our drop through the pipe and also have a 2deg twist to make the pipe plumb again to the floor. There needs to be a better understanding of what this fitting does so that it can be used easier. I guess I just have to play with it some more.
Dave

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:45:10 AM »
One fiiting as Cam nav has shown,even though the twisted fitting is not correct by the looks of the drop cheek.Your livinng in the past if you think it's quicker to send it to the layout table than the plasma cutter.Time for him, even thinking about it,the plasma would be done.Automation my friend.By the way (elbow = plasma cid 15=plasma x 2)-1=2.Does an elbow come off the coil line.You had the elbow to start with.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »
By the way,unless you coil line 18 or 16 black iron how does fittings come into the question.
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline cjehly

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2008, 03:13:07 AM »
welded stainless?
-Chris-

Offline bparrell

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: Feb 29, 2008, 03:19:55 AM »
Exactly
WIN 10 O.S
RUDOLPH and SLETTEN
MEP COORDINATOR

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #14 on: Feb 29, 2008, 03:30:43 AM »
What isn't correct Bob? I thought this was what you guys are talking about. Regaining the horizontal twist created by the slope. I have 2 fittings there both CID 151 that regain the ideal fitting plane. Although the elbow is a fitting it really doesn't come into play with this scenario. The only reason I used two twisted transitions is to regain the horizontal plane of being plumb to the floor, that was made by the dropping tap and elbow turning the corner.
By the way if you use an angled transition before the elbow you will likely have to use a twisted transition after the elbow, so we do it after with just one fitting.
Dave