Author Topic: Text Utilities and Background Mask capabilities  (Read 7015 times)

Offline audiocycleTopic starter

Text Utilities and Background Mask capabilities
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 15:52:36 PM »
How many of us utilize the "background mask" feature of Mtext?

Would anyone else find it advantageous for it to be an option with the CADduct Text functions?
Barry Chupp
Autodesk Fabrication CADmep, Revit, Navisworks, Revizto, Stratus

Offline ksperop37

• Premier Member
Re: Text Utilities and Background Mask capabilities
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »
This would be a great idea that would go great with annotative text!
Kyle

AutoCad MEP 2016; Fabrication CADmep 2016; Navisworks Manage 2016; Revit 2016
HP Elitebook 8760w; Windows 8.1 Enterprise; 64-bit; 16GB RAM; NVIDIA Quadro 4000M

Offline VirtualPilot

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
I believe we brought this into light once before when I got my first drawing with masked text and I asked how that was done... as far as we could tell it was not possible to use with MAP text, but maybe is something that MAP can add to future release... same with annotative..
Santos Cedeno
Pre-Production Mgr - DIXIE Metal Products

Offline jmorton

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
Thats a feature I would like to see
*John*

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
I want to bring this up again. While reiewing my recent projects where I'm using a reflected ceiling plan as my arch. xref, background mask would be awesome.

My grill tags have a 3d solid under them to help them mask, but I'm not about to create blocks for sizes and levels because of the character quantity / length of text issue.
Thomas N Fuller II

Offline Bobby T

• Premier Member
    • Wilson & Girgenti
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 13:17:44 PM »
I have never used this feature. Does it hide the backgroud items behind your text string? If so this is a very needed feature for our CADduct text .
Dell Precision Laptop, Intel i7 2.4 Ghz processor, Nvidia Quadro 3000M
16Gb RAM, Windows 7 64 bit sp1, Autodesk Fabrication 2013 lock 22 sp3

Offline cam-nav

• Premier Member
    • McKinstry.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 14:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Bobby T
Does it hide the backgroud items behind your text string? If so this is a very needed feature for our CADduct text .
Yes.
Mtext has this option already. Sometimes it can be used for EVIL though if you set the background to a color that plots black, then you get a big black blob where text should be.

This would aid in the clarification of our text as well.
Dave

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 15:02:18 PM »
Of course, Revit does this quite well...
Thomas N Fuller II

Offline TFuller

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
The attached pic is a great example of the need for background mask. I know I could use a box for the number, but I have that turned off for a reason.
Thomas N Fuller II

Offline acad2015

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2017, 16:16:11 PM »
Does this exist now or do we just keep suggesting it until we are blue in the face?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2017, 16:47:34 PM »
do we just keep suggesting it until we are blue in the face?

Have you suggested it? If so, when and who to?
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

Offline acad2015

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2017, 17:05:39 PM »
do we just keep suggesting it until we are blue in the face?

Have you suggested it? If so, when and who to?

I am sorry for my previous post. I have not suggested it. I should have said "Why is there a post from 2010, that makes a great point about a topic that is useful for every user, that was never commented on or looked into by any Admin's or support personnel."

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2017, 17:52:29 PM »
I have not suggested it. I should have said "Why is there a post from 2010, that makes a great point about a topic that is useful for every user, that was never commented on or looked into by any Admin's or support personnel."

Firstly, XtraCAD is a free forum where users of this software can request assistance and share their expertise with like minded individuals. We are not a support forum, if other members can't offer assistance you may need to go to your reseller or Autodesk for support (that's what you pay them for).

Admin (me) administers and moderates this site, nothing more nothing less. There are no 'support personnel' on here, we rely solely on other members having experienced the problem that someone refers to and being able to share their solution.

Autodesk (and formerly MAP) frequently view this forum and in certain instances will pick up on a Wish List request and incorporate it in a future release. This is obviously dependant on what value they determine that change would provide and what percentage of users feel the need for it.
As has been mentioned many times on this site when a Wish List item is posted, you should also post it on the Autodesk Ideas Station discussion forum. Other users should then add kudos to the post so that Autodesk can monitor how much desire there is for that specific enhancement.
I do NOT offer support to forum postings via email, IRC or any form of instant messaging network. If you want help, ask here!

Offline acad2015

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2017, 18:38:19 PM »
I have not suggested it. I should have said "Why is there a post from 2010, that makes a great point about a topic that is useful for every user, that was never commented on or looked into by any Admin's or support personnel."

Firstly, XtraCAD is a free forum where users of this software can request assistance and share their expertise with like minded individuals. We are not a support forum, if other members can't offer assistance you may need to go to your reseller or Autodesk for support (that's what you pay them for).

Admin (me) administers and moderates this site, nothing more nothing less. There are no 'support personnel' on here, we rely solely on other members having experienced the problem that someone refers to and being able to share their solution.

Autodesk (and formerly MAP) frequently view this forum and in certain instances will pick up on a Wish List request and incorporate it in a future release. This is obviously dependant on what value they determine that change would provide and what percentage of users feel the need for it.
As has been mentioned many times on this site when a Wish List item is posted, you should also post it on the Autodesk Ideas Station discussion forum. Other users should then add kudos to the post so that Autodesk can monitor how much desire there is for that specific enhancement.

You are correct on all accounts. I apologize for my rudeness and will refrain from posting such frustration like this again. I visited the Fabrication Ideas forum and found an idea from 2013 requesting such a feature. I request that anybody reading this post, click on the link below and vote for this topic. Thank you.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fabrication-ideas/background-mask-in-CADmep/idi-p/4540833

;D :D

Offline jmorton

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2017, 20:57:07 PM »
I would still like to see this feature  8)
*John*