Author Topic: Rotating fittings in designline  (Read 2613 times)

Offline gvmedtlsTopic starter

Rotating fittings in designline
« on: Apr 23, 2010, 16:15:06 PM »
When I am flat venting I want to place my wye at various angles. Sometimes just above the flow line so I may route the vent under a beam.

I am hoping to find out how to manipulate the angle fittings are rolled when I place the fittings in design line.

For example, I want to place a wye on a main line and have the branch of that wye at a specific angle.

How can I make this happen?
Dell Precision 7710, i7 6920HQ @3.8 GHz CPU, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB SSD hard Drive, Quadro K3000M 4GB GDDR5 RAM, Autodesk Fabrication Suite 2017/ Win7 Pro 64bit/ Life Is Good!!!

Drew Miller

Offline Mistical-Creature

Re: Rotating fittings in designline
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2010, 19:07:52 PM »
I think you want to use the Add Riser Button and set Angle.

But I think it will only go up.. not down.

Offline gvmedtlsTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2010, 19:57:13 PM »
That was a lot of help. I have been able to set the offset angle by the explination of the word doc. I have also figured out that I can rotate the roll of the fitting by use of the polar osnap.

An issue arises when I fill in 3D, no fitting is place in the  RedILTee.
The button code and alternate code are placed in the buttin mappings for the service.

Example: I am rolling a wye at a 17 degree angle, the wye should still be able to be placed in this configuration regardless of the degree of the roll.
I have done this many times while using the rotate attacher command, I am now making the switch to design line, how can I fix this issue?
Dell Precision 7710, i7 6920HQ @3.8 GHz CPU, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB SSD hard Drive, Quadro K3000M 4GB GDDR5 RAM, Autodesk Fabrication Suite 2017/ Win7 Pro 64bit/ Life Is Good!!!

Drew Miller

Offline Alina

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2018, 17:40:00 PM »
That was a lot of help. I have been able to set the offset angle by the explination of the word doc. I have also figured out that I can rotate the roll of the fitting by use of the polar osnap.

An issue arises when I fill in 3D, no fitting is place in the  RedILTee.
The button code and alternate code are placed in the buttin mappings for the service.

Example: I am rolling a wye at a 17 degree angle, the wye should still be able to be placed in this configuration regardless of the degree of the roll.
I have done this many times while using the rotate attacher command, I am now making the switch to design line, how can I fix this issue?

Hey,
Any updates on this issue? Currently we use attacher , no way for DL to do it?
Thanks

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 18:07:20 PM »
You can roll certain fittings in designline, but from what I have experienced Wyes are not one of them.

I have been messing with patterns here recently, digging a little deeper than before and I'm going to test this eventually after I have some more data.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline Alina

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2018, 18:12:04 PM »
That would be good to know. Hopefully there is some good solution
Thanks for update!  :)

Offline Steadtler

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2018, 14:50:03 PM »
An issue arises when I fill in 3D, no fitting is place in the  RedILTee.

When a wye fitting is rotated, the pipe run feeding into the wye will not have a normal alignment to the main run of the wye. The change in alignment, depending on how the branch is run, may be within the tolerance when placing fittings using the attacher arrow but when using Design Line, the program wants everything to be dead on precise - the attacher arrow tolerance is apparently not recognized in the same way.

Refer to the attached pic - this configuration (wye rotated up at 17 degrees per OP) was generated using Design Line.  Note that the branch has a slight angle off the perpendicular of the main- about 2 degrees.  If you are running the Design Line perpendicular, the program sees a 47 degree angle and unless it has that particular fitting available in the database, it won't fill (even though the field personnel could easy install it because of the coupling tolerance).

You will either need to continue to use the attacher command, define a new fitting (one for each different angle situation), manually place a fitting without regard to Design Line, or refrain from using odd angles.