Author Topic: Connector Issue after Upgrade to 2022  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ZTR88Topic starter

Connector Issue after Upgrade to 2022
« on: Apr 16, 2021, 21:38:52 PM »
We have run into an issue after upgrading to 2022. The same item in the same file opened on one machine in 2021 will show connectors correctly while the same file opened on a different machine running 2022 shows the connector in a different position on the same item... Very frustrating. Both machines and versions are pathed to the same database.

Anyone else having this issue or know how this could happen?

I've attached screenshots of the two instances showing the same file opened in two different versions of Fabrication.
Zachary Reese
Virtual Design Coordinator / Database Manager
Douglas Orr Plumbing Inc.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
Re: Connector Issue after Upgrade to 2022
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2021, 22:34:27 PM »
Submit it to Autodesk Support. They can reach out to the Dev team.

A connector displaying different noes not mean a defect...there's a lot of defects that have been around for years...when (if) they finally get fixed, it'll be different and appear as a bug.

Support can find out if this is the case.

Years ago, vanes were calculated at 1/2 the qty required so everyone's reports had a 2x factor applied to them. When the fixed it, everyone had a batch of extra vanes as a result.

There's been similar "corrections" in the past for tierod offsets...configurations were build around the defect and when it was fixed...bad fab until you fix your setup.

What'll be hard is if you need to run both old and new versions for a while.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2021, 23:52:43 PM »
Yes as Darren Said. This is not the cause of the problem, but it is a bad idea to have 2 separate version's pointing to same shared database, I was told that by Andy awhile ago. I'm not sure what issue's it can or could cause but when the lead programmer Tell's me something, I don't question it! lol

My setup is a little over the top but I have the Autodesk Fabrication Main Folder. I Than Break down by Year/Version than By a particular "Database" Some are exactly as previous year but are run by the said years CADduct.

No I don't have all the Versions Loaded :)
The older version 2020 back are Backed up now. But wanted to give you and others an idea.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2021, 00:06:43 AM by cadbob »
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
    • William R. Nash Companies
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2021, 13:19:00 PM »
Yes as Darren Said. This is not the cause of the problem, but it is a bad idea to have 2 separate version's pointing to same shared database, I was told that by Andy awhile ago. I'm not sure what issue's it can or could cause but when the lead programmer Tell's me something, I don't question it! lol

My setup is a little over the top but I have the Autodesk Fabrication Main Folder. I Than Break down by Year/Version than By a particular "Database" Some are exactly as previous year but are run by the said years CADduct.

No I don't have all the Versions Loaded :)
The older version 2020 back are Backed up now. But wanted to give you and others an idea.

From what I have understood (I could be mistaken) is that users with admin permissions should stick to one version and not go backwards, once going to a later version stay there. But other standard users can use the same database in multiple versions without issue.
Christopher Nash
Operations Software & Process Manager
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline cadbob

• Premier Member
    • SMWIA Local 17
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2021, 03:41:20 AM »
Kinda makes sense seeing they dont have write permissions sort of. Still playing with fire you might get a burn. lol
When someone asks where you see yourself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday. :)

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2021, 12:51:54 PM »
Kinda makes sense seeing they dont have write permissions sort of. Still playing with fire you might get a burn. lol

For the longest time I've been managing the database in ESTmep 2020 and our estimating department was using 2018. We are finally upgrading from 2018 because it's EOL, but there are some issues in 2019-2022 that we are going to have to make some workflows to fix. But for now everyone including myself will be on 2022 very soon.
Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2021, 16:49:17 PM »
Quote from: cnash link=topic=16759.msg110204#msg110204 date=1618919514
[quote
I've been managing the database in ESTmep 2020 and our estimating department was using 2018.

Do you guys like using ESTmep with CAMduct and CADmep? We've always kinda flirted with the idea of moving that direction with the estimating software. Never pulled the trigger. I'm sure the transition is relatively smooth.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2021, 16:51:05 PM by ZTR88 »
Zachary Reese

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2021, 16:54:37 PM »
FYI, I have submitted the issue to Autodesk support and they've been working on it for awhile now. Haven't heard anything back yet.
Zachary Reese

Offline cadbyken

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2021, 17:35:42 PM »
Quote from: cnash link=topic=16759.msg110204#msg110204 date=1618919514
[quote
I've been managing the database in ESTmep 2020 and our estimating department was using 2018.

Do you guys like using ESTmep with CAMduct and CADmep? We've always kinda flirted with the idea of moving that direction with the estimating software. Never pulled the trigger. I'm sure the transition is relatively smooth.
My former employer used it and swore by it.
Ken Taylor - Atlantic Constructors, Inc
BIM Technology & Database Manager
Revit - not ready for Primetime given all of the add-ons, work arounds, and general issues with Fabrication in Revit.  Tired of them taking our money for little results.

Offline Darren Young

• Premier Member
    • BIM There Done That.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2021, 20:04:17 PM »
From what I have understood (I could be mistaken) is that users with admin permissions should stick to one version and not go backwards, once going to a later version stay there. But other standard users can use the same database in multiple versions without issue.

Generally speaking you're right but there are exceptions. Adding a new CID to a service then using that service in a version that doesn't support it is one of the most common examples. But there are others. Luckily (or not) Autodesk doesn't add CID's often.  The newer hanger patterns were one of the last examples in this area.

But this holds true for other things too....reports that access fields that didn't exist in prior versions, etc. Those things will not work as expected even with no read-write in older versions.

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2021, 21:29:17 PM »

Didn't think about this, but you are correct. I was testing everything I modify in 2020 in 2018 as well just to make sure there were no issues. Thankfully nothing has come up over the time I have been doing it this way.

Generally speaking you're right but there are exceptions. Adding a new CID to a service then using that service in a version that doesn't support it is one of the most common examples. But there are others. Luckily (or not) Autodesk doesn't add CID's often.  The newer hanger patterns were one of the last examples in this area.

But this holds true for other things too....reports that access fields that didn't exist in prior versions, etc. Those things will not work as expected even with no read-write in older versions.

Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.

Offline cnash

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2021, 21:30:12 PM »

It works very well, we don't use much CADmep anymore since we have made the transition to Revit though. That workflow works just as well.
Christopher Nash
William R. Nash, LLC.